1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing/giving a speech for a leaving colleague?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chloejewel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. chloejewel

chloejewel New commenter

I've been asked to give a speech for a colleague who is leaving for another school this week. I've never made a speech in front of adults before and haven't a clue where to start. Does anyone have a foolproof structure or ideas on how to make it interesting, funny and memorable?

Thanks!

2. chloejewel

chloejewel New commenter

I've been asked to give a speech for a colleague who is leaving for another school this week. I've never made a speech in front of adults before and haven't a clue where to start. Does anyone have a foolproof structure or ideas on how to make it interesting, funny and memorable?

Thanks!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I did it like a true/false quiz about the person in question.
    Lots of silly things she had done, and lots of silly things she hadn't done! To make it easier for me, I made a mini-book with it all in, so I could just read it out. And then she had something to take away to remember it by.
    I got the staff listening to do the Fingers (for false) and Thumbs (for true) thing, like you do in class.
    That's my secret ID blown!

It doesn't have to be a serious speech, as long as you thank them and say how amazing they are!

4. Don't exceed 2/3 minutes, try to be funny, and end on a compliment, which will warm the leaver's heart. Start with the beginning, or with the teacher's "character" around school. You'll pull it off, I'm sure

5. One of our teachers always writes a poem about the person leaving. It generally contains memories (usually humorous) about the person with a final verse saying how much they will be missed.