1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing Genres - bank of example texts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Carolyne740, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Have a problem getting chn in literacy set to retain/remember the features of all the different genres we cover - have just started marking their long writing tests and although they should have been writing a report, half of them have written stories !
    This is perhaps lack of exposure/knowledge of genres (we obviously have to recover everything in Y6 but the chn forget the different featiures of each genre). So I am planning to do like a maths mental oral starter in literacy three times a week when we come back in January - example of a specific genre on IWB; chn have 5 minsutes to write down what the genre is and as many features they can see which make it that particular genre.
    After a good few weeks at the I will expand this onto them planning to write a particular genre (just the plan not the writing) - what features must they include? How will they show off what they know?
    Does that sound like a good idea?
    I am now trying to gather lots and lots of different examples of each genre and hoped some of you might be able to help me .... ? I have been looking in TES resources and primary resources but hoped some of you might be able to help me further.
    I am a NQT so this is quite daunting and I haven't built up a good stock of resources and examples of genres yet.
    Thanks !

2. Carolyne740

Have a problem getting chn in literacy set to retain/remember the features of all the different genres we cover - have just started marking their long writing tests and although they should have been writing a report, half of them have written stories !
    This is perhaps lack of exposure/knowledge of genres (we obviously have to recover everything in Y6 but the chn forget the different featiures of each genre). So I am planning to do like a maths mental oral starter in literacy three times a week when we come back in January - example of a specific genre on IWB; chn have 5 minsutes to write down what the genre is and as many features they can see which make it that particular genre.
    After a good few weeks at the I will expand this onto them planning to write a particular genre (just the plan not the writing) - what features must they include? How will they show off what they know?
    Does that sound like a good idea?
    I am now trying to gather lots and lots of different examples of each genre and hoped some of you might be able to help me .... ? I have been looking in TES resources and primary resources but hoped some of you might be able to help me further.
    I am a NQT so this is quite daunting and I haven't built up a good stock of resources and examples of genres yet.
    Thanks !

3. Carolyne740

They are great! Thanks very much for that!
    If anyone has any actualexamples of the different text/genre types that would also be apprercaited ... I want the chn to see as many types of writing as possible so that they start to identify WHY and WHAT make a particular text a newspaper or a recount. Not just seeing a list of written features, but actually relating it an actual text.
    Hope that makese sense !

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

The "QUick Fix for Year 6 " writing book has examples of different genres. You could scan them and show them on a whiteboard.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. Carolyne740

Thanks for all the replies. They have been really useful.
    If anyone has any other suggestions they would be really appreciated - bit nervous about next term in run up to SATs!!
    Thanks again