1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing for student who struggles

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Wanderer007, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

Dear Primary posters,

I'm a secondary school teacher of sciences, and I teach a year 7 student who struggles enormously with his writing - forming the words and holding a pen to stuctrure his work. The thing is, he's an able student, and if I get him to focus on his writing in lesson - he'll miss out on his learning in lesson, or if the status quo was to continue then he'll progress with his learning but not get down as much structured workings out... storing up problems for later years. Do any of you have any suggestions I can try and help him with - I don't want to let this kid down and let him fall through the cracks!

I did think about maybe using a stress ball for his writing hand to help improve dexterity, but I have no experience of trying this.
    My thanks! [​IMG]

2. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

Dear Primary posters,

I'm a secondary school teacher of sciences, and I teach a year 7 student who struggles enormously with his writing - forming the words and holding a pen to stuctrure his work. The thing is, he's an able student, and if I get him to focus on his writing in lesson - he'll miss out on his learning in lesson, or if the status quo was to continue then he'll progress with his learning but not get down as much structured workings out... storing up problems for later years. Do any of you have any suggestions I can try and help him with - I don't want to let this kid down and let him fall through the cracks!

I did think about maybe using a stress ball for his writing hand to help improve dexterity, but I have no experience of trying this.
    My thanks! [​IMG]

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Let him use a laptop to write in lessons?

Provide some one to one work where he can concentrate on his writing and be 'taught' how to make it better not just practise the poor habits.

Send stroppy letters to his primary school to ask why they haven't sorted this out before he came to you?

4. Either try it with a laptop (SEN dept.), possibly with speech recognition software (if he can't type properly), or get someone who can write for him. At the same time, he'll need some handwriting input (again, SEN dept.), although that might have already been in place earlier. Check out his IEP. If it's possible, use different ways of assessing understanding than writing stuff down.
    I've got a pupil in my Y5 class, who can't write properly. (He's still working at a low Level 2, though.) If I leave him to it, he'll manage one sentence in a lesson (letters turned around, capital and small letters mixed within a word, different sizes, no spaces between words, etc.). Most of the time, I'm writing for him or have prepared resources that meet the same objective but don't require him to write for prolonged periods of time. He can't use a laptop, because he's quite dyslexic, and his writing makes even less sense, because I have to try and guess what he wanted to write.
    I'm not sure sending stroppy letters to his primary will help. I'm trying to help the boy in my class, but he will go up to Year 7 and not have much of a chance...