1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing fiction, non fiction, poetry

Discussion in 'Primary' started by comenius, Feb 17, 2016.

1. comenius

comenius New commenter

hi
    I was wondering how you covered different genres in writing lessons? Do you do an equal amount of narrative and non- fiction, or do you do more fiction than non- fiction? How is poetry writing covered?
    We have bee asked to do a fiction and non-fiction unit each half term but I struggle to fit both in and do well some half terms and have little time for poetry, so just interested in what others do.
    Thanks

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I have found, especially with the focus on grammar, that the pupils need time to practise one particular skill before moving on.

I have just spent an entire half term on narrative writing (different contexts, of course) but the common strand running through each piece of work was to use fronted adverbials to vary their sentences and to develop their descriptive vocabulary. It also allows them to properly apply the feedback you give them in their next piece of work. Poetry taught as a standalone unit based around a specific classic poem.

Next term is all about non-fiction writing, with the emphasis on Standard English and formal language.

This has been much more effective than doing a week of a story, then a play, then an info text etc, it's constantly rushing on to the next thing and the children don't tend to consolidate or apply. It doesn't seem to make sense to constantly chop and change.

Of course, your school needs to allow you to approach it this way but I think it's certainly worth arguing the toss! Hope that helps.

ActionAidSchoolsTeam likes this.
  3. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

I tend to do three weeks of narrative then 2 weeks non-fiction and a week of poetry.
    There are some ideas here for cross curricular literacy which have proved effective `:
    http://www.ks2complete.com/literacy-ks2/

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Thanks for your replies.
    The link to cross curricular English looks useful.
    Whitestag - do you do an equal balance of narrative and non-fiction across the year?

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Generally, yes. Sometimes you get a juicy topic e.g, Romans, that lends itself to everything non-fiction, so your context is there already! But most topics in other subjects can easily be written about in non-fiction genres. Narrative doesn't always fit but videos, pictures, opening sentences are all good hooks. It's the higher level of grammar that I'm more mindful of since the new curriculum.