1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing expectations in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by marymoocow, Feb 11, 2011.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I currently work in a deprived area where attainment is well below average. I have to do a teaching interview in a school in a very leafy middle class area. I taught in a similar school years ago and children at this time of year were mainly beginning to use initial sounds in their writing, a few cvc and some just emergent writing. Is this still likely to be the case? I want to include labelling and possibly descriptive words for HA children. Are they likely to be able to do this and to what level? I havent taught reception for a few years. Any advice appreciated as no guidence from school.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Should be looking at Letters and Sounds for inspiration on this. Imagine they are a couple of levels ahead and then think about where they might be in terms of phonic knowledge.
    But in a leafy school there might be less pressure on literacy and numeracy?
    I might be inclined to keep it simple and use Letters and sounds activities. It is all there for the taking!
    Puppets
    peg lines for word sorting
    phrases to read
    pack a bag for a tiger going on holiday writing a list of things he might need...... basic stuff.. are you teaching? Have a tiger or whatever and things he might or might not need....... then help him to write a list.