1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing exemplifications for teacher assessment...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by emilystrange, Feb 8, 2016.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Released today = KS2 and KS1

Consensus seems to be 'Working at' is old L3 for KS1, and 5c for KS2.

davidgreen55 likes this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not a surprise - so we've moved from Levels 2 & 4 being the 'average', through being the 'expectation' to now needing the equivalent of a level higher to be where 7 & 11 year olds apparently 'should' be.

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I am worried that we've been told that each child has to hit every statement to achieve 'working at' - even handwriting. I have two children whose content is very good, but despite years of handwriting intervention write like a blind man with no hands :( Our LA have asked for clarification from the STA... none forthcoming yet. What a surprise...

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Our LA Leader has advised that handwriting is NOT a deal-breaker this year (interim period) for pupils working at the national standard. Poor handwriting will, however, prevent able writers from being deemed to be achieving at the higher 'level'.

The most gifted writers I have taught over the years have often been the ones with pretty dreadful handwriting :mad:.

5. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

And I have to say, I don't believe 'Alex' exists... no example of his handwriting, some of the phrasing ('fizzy pop') doesn't sound like language a child would use.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

indeed not. that's for people of our generation. :D

7. davidgreen55

davidgreen55 New commenter

I've not had time to fully digest this yet, but a first glance at "Leigh" is setting the bar very high for "expected". We've got a pretty normal cohort of Y6 for us this year and we'd normally get 85%+ level 4, but I can't see us getting anything like that to "Leigh Level". What bothers me most is the seeming lack of complaint and outrage at these changes. The profession should be up in arms. I've had high expectations for decades, but this is stupid, crass nonsense.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree with the above. We could complain but no one will listen. Far better for the results to speak for themselves. Then someone might sit up and take notice.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't worry

They'll all be "fudged" so it all looks okay... it's what used to happen and it will happen again.

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Fizzy pop???????? I think my mother says fizzy pop.

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So do I - what else is it called?

12. rumpelteazer

rumpelteazer New commenter

So if national results said 35% are reaching age relates expectations compares to 85% last year would the government see the expectations were unrealistic?

13. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

We had a meeting for parents to explain the new tests and reporting systems - since then I have had comments from almost all of them about how unreasonable to new curriculum is. Apart from complaining to me, none of them seem interested in actually writing to an MP or doing anything about it. When it comes out in the summer that all teachers are now feckless and incompetent, I doubt any of them will raise a voice then either.

I heard on the grapevine that handwriting wasn't to be a major issue this year as well, but no official documents back that up - I can hardly use it as a defence if I get moderated so, until it's officially noted, handwriting is back on the agenda big time.

I am also utterly confused as to whether I should be judging the children against the interim framework or the national curriculum. The exemplification references the curriculum but the interim framework points are much more vague - I'm struggling to see the point of it anymore.