1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing everyday?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WelshKatie, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I am in year 2 and something I have done this year which has worked well is to have a 15 minute independent writing session after lunch. I usually manage to fit it in 2-3 times a week.
    I run my normal literacy session in the morning. In the afternoon they come in from lunch, look at the prompt on the board and write in silence for 15-20 minutes.
    I mark this piece of work against their next steps which change each term and are followed throughout the school. However, you could just choose your focus and mark to that. To make it easier to manage I printed loads of stickers saying 'Well done! You remembered your next step.' I just stick a sticker in their book if they achieve it, highlight good bits in pink and sometimes write a short comment like 'Remember full stops.'
    It sounds like a lot of work but to be honest I wander round the classroom with my highlighter and give feedback as I go. I also avoid doing it if I know I have a lot of marking from the morning literacy session.
    It works really well as they only have to focus on one thing without worrying about genres. Prompts I have used include:
    Tell me what is happening in this picture.
    What does this machine do?
    What would you like to be when you grow up?
    What did you do at the weekend?

2. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Oooh these are great ideas everyone, thank you!
    WelshKatie, the journal jar looks good - was slightly alarmed by the 246 days left to Christmas tag on the side of the web page though!!
    [​IMG]

3. Yes, I get them to write every day. They constantly practise skills and with constant assessment and targetting, they improve.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I don't understand how a child can go to school in England and not do some reading, writing, and maths every day. Yes I'm sure there are good reasons why some don't; it puzzles me greatly however.

5. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter