1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing? Big Writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yummymummy0803, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I am just wondering how often you assess writingin your school? And if you use Big Writing, how/when do you do Big Writes? We stopped using Big Writing a couple of years ago, and since we have, our writing has gone downhill. I'm thinking of reintroducing it but any ideas would be greatful! We are only a junior school.
    Many thanks.

2. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I to would be interested to see how others incorporate VCOP within say a poetry lesson how to you include these main areas without making it a vcop lesson each time if that makes sense?

3. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

Currently we assess each childs writing and assign it a N.C. level every half term (so 6 times per year) but APPs are updated each week in terms of on going assessment. I'm off to do some 'Big writing' training just before half term, so its good to hear that you like it.

4. In lower KS2 we tried to get maybe two or three pieces of big writing a month - at the VERY most - half the time we only got 1/2!
    Some teachers did a week of sentence/word/text level work then the next week focussing on big writes working through it from monday to friday.

Other people let the children do it independently for a long session on a friday.

I used to enjoy big writing, gave the children a change to really get into writing.

Its the marking that i hate haha!

5. We do Big Writing every 2 weeks.
    VCOP happens every day - we do it for 5/10 mins.
    On BW day we do a 30 minute VCOP quick fire session before break time and then complete the BW after break. We then colour code the success criteria (or the VCOP) we come up with before hand the following day, allowing time for any improvements. We assess a piece of writing per half term with the option of doing more if we choose to. We also don't use APP but mark from the Ros Wilson criteria.