1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing at length in Literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LittleMissCurious, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I'm expecting to be told at my PM mid-point review that my literacy group don't "write at length" enough.
    I only teach them literacy for 3 hours a week, meaning that in one term, we perhaps manage 2-3 units of work, with each culminating in a longer piece in which the children write for around 35-45 mins of the lesson. In most other lessons, they write for 20-35 mins, depending on the work planned, although sometime no formal written work is recorded as children may be doing drama or speaking activities.
    I have a low ability Y4/5 group, with levels 1a-3c in the same group. For the less able in the group (three of whom have dyslexia) writing for anything more than 25 mins istoo much in terms of concentration.
    How much writing at length goes on in your literacy groups?

2. I'm expecting to be told at my PM mid-point review that my literacy group don't "write at length" enough.
    I only teach them literacy for 3 hours a week, meaning that in one term, we perhaps manage 2-3 units of work, with each culminating in a longer piece in which the children write for around 35-45 mins of the lesson. In most other lessons, they write for 20-35 mins, depending on the work planned, although sometime no formal written work is recorded as children may be doing drama or speaking activities.
    I have a low ability Y4/5 group, with levels 1a-3c in the same group. For the less able in the group (three of whom have dyslexia) writing for anything more than 25 mins istoo much in terms of concentration.
    How much writing at length goes on in your literacy groups?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Our units are 2 weekly and there will be a lengthy piece by the end of each unit. On top of this we do Big Writing each Friday. Average lessons will involve about 20 mins of activity but not writing at length - for example today we designed slogans for 3 every day products.

4. Thanks cally, that makes me feel better! As I job-share, my class Literacy with a different teacherfor some of the week, and they do Big Writing style work in that session.

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I would expect my children to write a longer piece of work over a few days, not all in one go - although this skill is practised on occasions.

6. Thanks, jog_on. That's the kind of work the class do with my job-share, although we have done some written work like this (eg a story unit planning & writing the story over a few days) I just wish my HTwould appreciate this fact!