1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing assessments

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by fionarh, Jun 27, 2015.

1. fionarh

fionarh New commenter

How long do you spend preparing and revising/learning a controlled assessment. I have complaints that 2 weeks isn't long enough to 'learn' it - after several weeks of preparation. I realise part of the problem is that students are learning by heart, but can't persuade them otherwise, even the really good ones.

Thanks in advance

2. Candidates are allowed a MAXIMUM of two weeks from the time they are given the live assessment task to writing it in controlled conditions. This includes all time for drafting and learning. It's up to the candidates how they use that two weeks. If they manage to write a draft in the first lesson, they can spend the rest of the time learning, but they mustn't have more than two weeks.

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

2 weeks is the maximum, as stated above.

So when pupils moan at me about it, I just remind them that this isn't a rule I've made.

We normally give them more like 11 days - task setting on a Monday/Tuesday, assessment the following Friday.

We give them 3 prep lessons because if we allow them all 5-6 during the 2-week window they don't use the time effectively. 3 lessons is enough for everyone to write their draft (most do it in 1-2, depending how well they've worked during the previous few weeks in which the topic has been taught).

4. fionarh

fionarh New commenter

Many thanks to you both for your replies. I may have missed something but have you interpreted the 6 hours allowed by the board for stage 2 (AQA) as 2 weeks or 3 lessons or do you have different boards which specify 2 weeks.

Thanks again

5. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

We're with Edexcel which specifies 2 weeks/6 hours, I believe.

In the course of 2 weeks, we have 6 lessons. We just choose to only give pupils 3 of those as prep lessons because they don't use their time wisely if they have too much of it.