1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Yahtzee21, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Yahtzee21

Yahtzee21 New commenter

Does anybody have any inspiration for a writing assessment piece for year 6? Every class is doing letters -some are doing letters to Santa- but wanted to do something a bit different with the older ones.
    Anybody have any ideas? Want something that they will be interested in!

2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Write to David Cameron asking why he isn't investing in their education?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Has there been a fund raising event at school recently where money has been raised for the pupils' benefit? I'm thinking perhaps a summer fair that has now provided playground equipment that the children are using or some other resource. The children could write to the PTA (or whoever raised the money) thanking them for organising this, of how they enjoyed the event and then go on to say how they are appreciating whatever has been bought. Or perhaps you've more recently had a Christmas Fair and they could write about how much they are looking forward to using whatever is bought and how it will change playtimes/learning.

Alternatively, write a request, giving good reasons, for the PTA to raise funds for a fantasy idea. They could enjoy using their imagination!

Another idea. If some of the classes are writing to Santa, could your class be given copies of these letters (or just one good one for all to use the same) and they have to write a letter in response as Santa himself?

Just first thoughts ... Hope they are of some use.

4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I had a couple of my Guided Reading groups write letters to Santa from the main character. They were all really enthusiastic about it and I was really happy with how well they did. Or a letter asking for things for lots of other people, saying why they deserve it and why they need/want it... Would be easy for them to write a longer piece with paragraphs. I'm thinking I might do it now haha but give the kids a few real life names!

5. sarah292

sarah292 New commenter

We recently took part in the Royal Mail Young Writer competition where the children had to write a job application letter for their dream job. It was really successful as the children were all interested and were actually writing for a purpose.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Watch the John Lewis advert and write a letter from the man on the moon to the girl explaining how he came to be living on the moon.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  7. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I've done letters from Father Christmas to younger children in y6 before that were very successful. We looked at Tolkein's letters as Father Christmas to his children and analysed the use of language to suit the audience. They wrote them for young family members and friends and loved giving them to them afterwards!