1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing assessment levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by msworld, Mar 2, 2012.

1. msworld

msworld New commenter

Considering both have most of the criteria at level 2, except some punctuation and grouping by content, I would say 2b for both.

2. Agreed. This is not level 1 writing.

3. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

Hi I would say 2c for both.

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

First one 2c. Very weak grammatical structures, loses the thread of the story and becomes a conversation, doesn't hang together very well.
    Second one more tricky. It has some very definite story language and description, but sentence structures really not there. 2c/2b borderline ... secure 2 in some elements, but very weak 2 in others.

5. Thank you for all your help everyone!
    It is quite tricky isn't it, and it just shows that one piece of work could be given a variety of levels by different people! I am slowly getting through them all...it takes so long when you are just starting off, doesn't it.
    This is one of my highers and I think this is a 3C...what does everyone else think? The handwriting is perfect.
    Once upon a time, there was a magician and friends and a traveler. they were poor! The friends brought a magicians equitment to ern more money but they wanted to try it out that very day. So the next day they tried it out and they got pounds (even enough for them to go on holiday!) the magician who's name was Samuel asked to go on holiday and he could. Samuel (Sam for short) asked his friends to tell everyone that the show is cancelled but "oh no" said Sam there are no airports here what shall I ride on. everyone looked everywhere but Sam found a carpet that was glittering Sam sat on it and it flew around the room! "I know I can tell the carpet where to take me" said Sam. "Take me to Australia". In an instant it was out of the window and *** it was gone. Sam came back and said "I felt lonely there I think I'll stay with you.
    The End

6. I would say that is a 2a - definitely not into level 3.
    The punctuation is good. However, the structure of the story is no better than the previous pieces of writing - it is hard to follow what's happening and I had to go back several times and re-read to work it out. It doesn't have a clear beginning, middle, end or intro, buildup, problem, resolution. Also I would need to see some attempt to use paragraphs to be a 3.