1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing Assessment Help. Problems with APP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by k2thab2, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Perhaps you could lead an assembly that introduces the task using a stimulus such as an object/a letter/a scenario/a location in your school. The classes then have to mind map, plan and write their stories about the said object/letter/scenario/location etc back in their classrooms. Plan to have the whole day as a writing day! Perhaps to continue the theme for the whole day, get the children to create some art work to go with their stories. It's essentially a Big Write but that is led and facilitated by yourself without any prior knowledge by the Teachers...! Us teachers need to be kept on our toes...!!

Just an idea - not sure if it's helpful!

:)

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I downloaded a PDF booklet from American website that has writing prompts for each year group although they are grades 6 - 11, but I have adapted some for my Y3 class. Email me and I will email it to you

julietmmancey@yahoo.co.uk

3. Thanks. I've emailed you

4. I can see where you (and the advisor) is coming from - but in all the APP training and Lit Subject leader training that I did, the expectation was that most assessment was based on work that was at the end of a unit of teaching, not out of the blue. The end of KS2 test was about the only time children were expected to write without preparation - and even the government seems to have accepted that that isn't a good way to assess writing ability.
    It could well give some useful information about teachers' assessments (if the teachers are clear that you want a level for that piece of work, not the child's overall ability) - but it won't necessarily be a more accurate way of finding out what levels the children are capable of. I've always understood APP to be a tool for assessing a body of work, not a single piece of writing.

5. Why would you want to do that? KS1 teachers don't and I don't think authors write without a build up either.

6. Exactly! It's not possible to APP properly on just one piece of writing (especially when the higher levels say 'across a range of writing').

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But this would then be a 'test' and the point of APP is to assess what children can do when not in a test situation.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I haven't much add, other than I'm glad I don't work in your school. This sounds like a witch hunt.
    Surely a moderating session in a staff meeting or INSET would be far more constructive.

9. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

This does sound rather unpleasant and unnecessary for children and their teachers. There's little point in asking the children to write a persuasive piece if they covered this aspect last June, for exampe. I don't think you are going to be very popular.