1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

writing assessment- 'ascribes meanings to marks that they see in different places'

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nellym, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nellym

nellym New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could suggest, or have used, any activities that will help me to assess against the 30-50 writing strand 'ascribes meanings to marks that they see in different places' please?

2. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

1) If you've set up your core continuous provision areas(e.g. creative area with paints) you've probably already got evidence to highlight/tick off and assess the above strand. E.g. you know that piece of A3 paper-currently on your drying rack with the 2 painted blue squiggly lines coming out of that roundish shape, well when little Jack said that was his mummy you've just got some evidence to put in his learning journey.
    2) If you've left some multicolored chalk outside and Molly starts doing some graffiti on the floor, don't rush to clean it, chances are in her eyes she's drawn 2 unicorns and that curly scribble that looks like a backwards "E" well that is meant to be a number "3" because she told her BFF she is 3 years old and it's her birthday...and she's gona get 2 unicorns as a present...and she's going to invite her BFF to party!" Quick take a snap on the Ipad.
    3) ...Wait don't chuck that folded piece of pink card with zigzags in green felt tip pen with a heart, Amira forgot to tell you that that is her card to her dad and say's "I love you dad XX"
    4) If you want to get a bit hi tech...you've got your interactive whiteboard too and chuck on "2simple2paint"...mind you, make sure you've trained them before you let them loose...It could end up with a blue screen that says "no signal" and various handprint marks.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Great response from Claudette.

4. nellym

nellym New commenter

Excellent suggestions thank you! And a giggle too This is the sort of evidence I use but wasn’t sure if I was on the right lines.

5. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

So what is the difference between the two statements in the 30-50 months ?
    1.sometimes give meaning to marks as they draw, write and paint
    2.ascribes meanings to marks they see in different places.

The aforementioned from Claudette to be for point 1.

For point 2- the ascribing meaning to marks they need to give a meaning to a mark they see in the environment that is not their own. This is always what I have been led to believe in training courses and my last eys leader. Interesting to see peoples views on this.

6. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

I have always thought point 2 ascribes meaning to marks they see in different parts belongs more in reading personally and links perfectly to environmental print but more their mark making or their peers for example in the role play, if they are writing to each other a shopping list if a child writes on a pad and goes what would you like? And their friend points and goes 'cakes please' pointing then I would most likely award it.
    Have to say it's not a let's tick off every statement exercise though. I would be sat looking thinking WOW imaginative creative play is happening where they are writing in a meaningful way.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

1. They tell me something like 'this is a fire engine' or 'this says I like playing in the sand'.
    2. They ask what a sign says as we walk around school. Or they point to a capital H and then point to themselves as their name begins with an H. Or they see a red sign and say that it means something in dangerous.

I don't think of it as a checklist though. Just are they the kind of child who notices signs and realises they mean something or not. Are they the kind of child who talks about their picture or not.

claudette_A likes this.
  8. 1ms111

1ms111 New commenter

Yes I agree. I would expect to see them understanding print in the environment carries meaning and sometimes giving meaning to that print. I think some people think ascribing meaning to marks is simply the child mark making themselves and giving meaning to it.

9. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Another wonderful child initiated example I observed and added to my children's learning journeys this week involved the decorations that they had made and we sold at the Christmas Fayre. They had drawn pictures on salt dough and wrote their names. When they came over to buy and could find their decoration just a normal conversation between child and parent / carer about them knowing it was their creation. Reignite the meaning to marks but also print, marks in the environment.
    No one statement is ever on its own all interlinked and the whole child.
    Have to say parents had tears in their eyes at their ability to find their unique Christmas elf. Myself all the spontaneous wow moments

10. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

While we’re here we might as well discuss the cross referencing of other areas. As others have rightly mentioned there is a lot of overlap in areas and statements. The chances that a child can “give meaning” to something they see in the playground (look there’s a teddy bear!” would probably suggest they’re not far or possibly can “give meaning” to their own picture they’ve painted (look I’ve drawn a teddy.)

If they can do that then you can probably start highlighting areas in:

1) Communication & language> speaking & listening/understanding
    I’d assume in order to “ascribe meaning” the vast majority would verbally communicate to get their ideas across. Tick off “uses simple sentences/uses talk to connect ideas etc...

2) Characteristics of Effective Learning (creating & thinking critically)> thinking of ideas making links and noticing patterns in their experience (“Oh, I’ve seen a bear before, I think I’ll draw one because I recognise it as it has a round head and tummy-give meaning)

3) Literacy> reading: Reading and writing come hand in hand . 30-50 months “recognises familiar words/signs/logos... etc..

There’s probably more. That’s what I like about “Development Matters”, it gives enough flexibility by sometimes giving general statements to allow the teacher to apply commonsense of what skills/knowledge is being observed.

If we were treating “Development Matters” as a check list of sentences and following it to a “T”, I’d be bald by now, can you imagine how long that list would have to be to...

EYFS DEVELOPMENT MATTERS 2019 Edition
    Writing section
    1) Can recognise a circle
    2) Can recognise many things are circular.
    3) Can draw a circle
    4) Can recognise the letter “O”
    5) Can recognise the number ”0“ looks like an “O”
    6) Knows the number “0“ is a squashed “O”
    7) Knows that the letter “O” makes a sound
    8) Can find the letter “O” in surroundings
    9) Can write the letter “o” in lowercase
    10) Can write the letter “O” in uppercase
    11) Beginning to write cursive “o”
    12) Secure in writing cursive “o”
    10,000)
    ...And that would be just for the writing...

11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter