1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing area inspiration

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by v006054, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I`m struggling for inspiration for my writing area. I`m an NQT in Reception and the writing area is looking dreary and in need of some serious TLC. It is quite well resourced but I would like to make it more exciting for the children. I was thinking of an office theme, decorating the walls to look like the interior of an office but wondered if anyone else had an ideas.

Much appreciated.
    Emma :)

2. I would start with something basic...there's some great hugry caterpillar wrapping paper at WHSmith that is covered in the alphabet...shove it on a wall and add a bright laminate table cloth (about £5 p/m from any fabric shop)...then get some nice baskets and a set of paper trays...throw in a selection of papers in themes that the children are rolling with at the moment with some nice pens/pencils, add some pebbles with sounds written on them, and anything else you have like phonic games, story sacks, sequencing or writing kits (we make them using lunch boxes in all themes...camo, pirate, natural history museum, butterfly, robots, fairy, princess)...add some 'props' for making writing exciting...nice pens, snowflake highlighters, laminated maps, a compass, magnifying glass, some die, a calculator on a key-fob, an old digital camera with no batteries for role play recording, mini clip boards, cool post-its. We also have some role play clothes to go alongside the kits...a box with an explorer hat and camo jacket, a princess hat, some fairy wings, a pirate patch and waistcoat etc etc. Children then combine role play and mark-making...a sure winner.
    If it's bright, 'grown-up' and ready to go (and take all over the classroom) the children will lap it up and be mark-making all over the room.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Gosh, Bestitcanbe, I have just been reading another thread where you have listed all your resources and I am astounded but just wonder how the children see the wood for the trees.

4. We're lucky to have a huge indoor and outdoor classrooma nd 3 staff. All of the resources are in containers that have a photo of what should be inside on them and the same photo is sticky-backed where they should be put back at tidy up time. Generally within a week they all know where it all goes just from 'exploring' time and seeing the photos.

5. I would encourage writing and mark-making in all areas of the classroom and not confine it to one area Include diaries, clip boards, little notebooks, chalk boards, white boards etc in the role play area, near to construction area etc etc. You can then prompt a child to draw a plan, make a tally chart, make an entry in a diary, etc. Writing should have a purpose. If you centralise the position of your writing station it will take on a higher status and attract more children to it, positioning in a corner lessens its status(trust me I did a whole project on it for my degree).

6. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

BestIcanBe I love the lunchbox idea. It means mark making can be transportable to other areas of the room. I think a writing area, should be more like a resource station. Lots of inspirational resources, themed paper (print stuff off the internet - Bob The Builder, Peppa Pig etc) as others have said, different types of pens, envelopes, scissors, whole punches, glue .......... On the website abcdoes he has a few ideas. I think one is where you roll up paper / pens and put them in a pringle tube. Wrap in themed paper Ben10 and add string, elastic or wool to carry around the room. Back packs, clipboards or pack lunched boxes are all good ways of transporting mark making to where ever the children want to play - inside or out. We once had a Bob the Word Builder table, great for reception building 2 or 3 letter words. Interested in others ideas.