1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing and parents

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rlleasl2, Feb 18, 2011.

1. There is a boy in my nursery class who can write his name. His mum approached me the other day and asked if we could look at starting to write simple words such as 'the', 'cat' etc. This is because they want him to be 'up to speed' before he starts in reception class. I told his mum that I would talk with the other staff members to see how we can implement this in his play. His mum also realises that he doesn't take much interest in writing and is concerned about what will happen in the reception class.
    As far as I am aware he knows most of the letters and their sounds, and can write some of the letters.
    I have approached my team leader suggesting that we looked at segmenting words and then blending them back into words before we start on letter formation and writing. (I.E Aspect 7 of Phase 1 of L&S). She is happy for me to do this.
    I am struggling to find ways to implement what his mum would like us to do. I would like your opinions and ideas about what to do in this situation.
    Thanks in advance for your contributions.

2. There is a boy in my nursery class who can write his name. His mum approached me the other day and asked if we could look at starting to write simple words such as 'the', 'cat' etc. This is because they want him to be 'up to speed' before he starts in reception class. I told his mum that I would talk with the other staff members to see how we can implement this in his play. His mum also realises that he doesn't take much interest in writing and is concerned about what will happen in the reception class.
    As far as I am aware he knows most of the letters and their sounds, and can write some of the letters.
    I have approached my team leader suggesting that we looked at segmenting words and then blending them back into words before we start on letter formation and writing. (I.E Aspect 7 of Phase 1 of L&S). She is happy for me to do this.
    I am struggling to find ways to implement what his mum would like us to do. I would like your opinions and ideas about what to do in this situation.
    Thanks in advance for your contributions.

3. Is there any reason why you should be trying to implement what the boy's mum would like you to do?
    There is nothing stopping the mum encouraging and teaching her son at home.
    If the boy already knows letters and sounds and can write some letters, it may well be that he surpasses many of the children entering a reception class.
    What are you providing in general terms for the boy and his peers? Is that not enough at his age and stage?
    Having said all that, I have recently provided some free resources for possible use for three to four olds which is based on linking letters and sounds.
    http://www.phonicsinternational.com/trs.html
    You might not feel that this is something that is useful to you in the nursery - but maybe mum would enjoy seeing if anything is of interest.
    I would say that if the boy at such a tender age shows no interest in writing, he really should not be 'made' to do it.

4. I'm wondering about his knowledge of letters and their sounds, as some children will respond to the sight of a letter by making the correct sound (or write a letter in response to an isolated sound) before they can actually recognise that sound as the initial sound of a word, and certainly before they can hear and identify it within a word. So it may be worth finding out if his letter knowledge links to the sounds uttered in isolation or to the sounds as a constituent of words. This may give you a clearer idea of where to go next. If he does not recognise the initial sound/ letter in words then that is the place to go next, as you suggest, with games that support distinguishing initial and some of the subsequent sounds in words and linking them to letters.
    You may need to reassure his mum that he will not be left behind should he not be writing words when he starts reception class. In my experience many children start reception unable to even write their names (although I acknowledge that this may be different in your school/area).
    It is counterproductive to attempt to force the issue with a child who is reluctant to write. He may be able to do it but developmentally he seems not quite ready, and as he seems quite an able child there is no need to worry about progress at this point. It would be unwise, too, to single him out for special writing activities unless you think he is gifted and talented in this area. On the other hand, no doubt you will be trying lots of activities to motivate all your boys for writing, and maybe he will start showing more interest within that general context.
    You are there to teach the child, not please the mum, so measure your responses and ideas of how to proceed against what you feel is right for him and do not let pressure from the mum influence you unduly. You could describe to her some of the steps you are taking to make your classroom boy writing friendly and say something about using fun to kick start interest.