1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

writing a SEF for science department

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencebloke, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Hi there folks,

not so long ago i came across an examplar material for Heads of SCIENCE departments with regards to writing up the SEF for their respective departments...does anyone have it or a similar aid to help....I am presently doing mine ..to be handede in..next week....

Thanks

2. Hi there folks,

not so long ago i came across an examplar material for Heads of SCIENCE departments with regards to writing up the SEF for their respective departments...does anyone have it or a similar aid to help....I am presently doing mine ..to be handede in..next week....

Thanks

3. Does the school not have a generic one for every department? It would be galling to complete one for yourself and then find that the SMT want you to complete theirs!

4. All middle leaders have one to fill out for their departments. We recently had an inset provided by an external agency that used a SEF written by a History department at another school....I know my life right now would be made a lot easier if I had an examplar specific to science.....

The xamplar i cam across a year ago was a SEF specific to science outlining what relevant data, sourses and info to include within each critria...it was so useful...alas xannot find it anywhere...

5. The ASE and SEP produced a CD for heads of science and prospective heads of science with a lot of useful stuff on it, including self evaluation on it. It is worth getting a copy, or looking on the ase website to see if the info is there as well.

6. Thanks folks...

The link that you provided ms bossie boots seem very interesting....I have had a quick browse..doesnt seem to be directly linked to science at first glance but scrolling down, there are some links made to science....its a start....cheers

7. Hi there is a self review guide called highsights which may be of help. Post back if you would like to have a copy of it.

Cheers

8. Hi,

hope you don't mind me being cheeky but i would love a copy of the self review guide if poss. I will be a new science coordinator in Sept.

many thanks
    alison.

banks193@sky.com

9. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

Ms_Bossie_Boots, you are hereby nominated for legendary status.

That devon link has some quality documents in. Wish my authority produced anything useful.

A big thank you for sharing,
    Kev

10. hi

I would also love a copy of the self review as a new HoD next year.

linskill@hotmail.com

Many thanks

11. Hi Jamie,
    I would be most grateful if you could send me a copy please. My email address is ais@woodfieldschool.co.uk many thanks.
    Arshad.

12. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

You might be advised to look at the draft Ofsted framework since the chances are you will be assessed against the new criteria. It is much simpler in terms of number of key judgements etc, and worth a read so you know what is coming.