1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing a report to governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kittylion, Nov 8, 2015.

1. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I work one day a week in a primary school - I do all the foreign language teaching (French) to years 3-6. I like my job very much, but having only been an ordinary squaddie secondary teacher for most of my career, I feel a little at a loss when told to write policies and reports etc.

My lovely HT has asked me to write a report on progress for the governors. It isn't due until the new year, but I keep thinking about it and am not sure what form it should take. Should it be a letter or memo - or something else? What sort of details will they be looking for, and how long should it be?

I have googled it, but can only find stuff relating to a headteacher's report to the governors.

I would be very grateful if any governors could give me a few top tips.

Thank you. :)

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Different Governing Bodies have different ideas about what they want reports from a subject leader to look like; some are very particular (to the point of fussiness!), others are happy to leave it to the staff member to write it whatever way they feel is most appropriate. Before you do anything heck with your head whether your GB has any preferences.

Also check whether you will be expected to attend the GB and present it, and answer questions on it. GBs usually like to hear from the subject leaders direct.

I'd recommend a Report format rather than letter or memo - it looks more professional. It needn't be long, don't pad it out for the sake of it.

Bear in mind that governors will have asked for this as part of their monitoring of standards and progress so the focus should be on the impact your teaching programme, how well the pupils are progressing and the standards they are achieving, and "how do you know" - ie what's your evidence for saying progress is 'good' (or whatever it is you are going to say!)

If you were reporting to my GB I'd say

--- Start by summarising what you do - the background to why MFL in KS2 has been introduced, who you teach, how many hours pupils receive, what SoW you use etc. To set the scene, how the subject is taught in your school. Teachers sometimes assume that all governors will be fully aware of what they are doing but in my experience that's often not so. There'll likely be a couple of governors who've never heard of you and didn't even realise French was being taught!

--- How well pupils are doing - progress, standards. How do you know (assessment methods). Comparisons with progress/attainment nationally? (If such data exists - sorry, I don't anything much about MFL teaching in primary.... )

--- What's going well, what's going less well (and for the latter, what is your plan to address it)

--- Possibly include the relevant bit of school development plan if there is one for MFL and report on progress against it

--- Sometimes subject leaders bring in samples of pupils' work to show governors. Personally I like that but check with your head if that's a good idea for your GB..

--- If relevant you could say something about how you liaise with other primary and the secondary schools - how well does it lay the basis for KS3 teaching? How is curriculum continuity with the secondary addressed so that the secondary builds on what they have learned in KS2 and doesn't repeat it all?

3. kittylion

Thanks Rot Weiler - that is SO useful.

The head didn't give any details but I think she said it needn't be long - I don't know if I will have to attend.

Sadly, the liaison with secondary probably won't apply as most of them go to a local high school which only offers Spanish although some go to the grammar which still offers French. I did think it odd that they wanted to offer French, but didn't question it as - well - I wanted the job! :)

Evidence is worrisome - as really it is either in their books (they have only been able to have books from this September) or what I have seen/heard (for speaking tasks).

Certainly I can now start drafting something and later on will ask the head the questions you raise.

Once again, thank you so much.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm guessing that there may well have been reports to the governors on other subject areas - perhaps you could ask to see a couple of examples.

5. kittylion

Thanks Frustum - sorry for delay in thanking you, I am not used to checking this forum and I kept forgetting.

I started drafting something out along the lines of what Rott Weiler suggested, but then the Head told me there was going to be an inset in which someone would give training on how to do this and that he had a proforma which was one side of A4 - so have put it on hold until January.

Thank you both very much for your help.