1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing a proposal to SLT/SMT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by ictLad, Dec 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Hi,

I have been asked to write a proposal for the requirement of a Director of IT/Director of Digital Strategy. I have a lot of data about why our current situation is not ideal, the challenges we currently face without strong leadership on our use and development of IT across the whole school, but have never written a proposal to SLT before.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this to give it most bang for it's buck and ensure that SLT are convinced and not bored by me just firing bullet points at them? I'd be really grateful if someone could either give me some ideas or even give me an example of successfully written proposal.

Many thanks in advance

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

A few thoughts:
    1. Avoid death by Powerpoint. If you can't do the pitch without, you probably can't do the pitch at all.
    2. Avoid the TLDR syndrome - too long, didn't read. If you have to produce a summary, it's the summary that'll be looked at, not the main document. (the Churchill quotation is “Pray state, this day, on one side of a sheet of paper, how the Royal Navy is being adapted to meet the conditions of modern warfare.”)
    3. Try to work out what your school needs to develop and progress. Then work out what IT can help with. Don't start with "it would be nice to have...." and then try to work out how the IT might be useful
    4. Aim for working smarter, rather than harder. Anything that makes things easier for teachers and staff and pupils.
    5. Research what you are saying. Go and see the gizmos at work in other schools. Find out whether they have made a measurable impact. Quote your research.

dhillong, sabrinakat and wanet like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Be very very careful....sounds like you are being played to me...

Does the proposal suggest who might get the person and the skills they would have?

4. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Thank you. No ppt involved luckily. A two page document and a discussion us what they want. I was going to aim for hitting three key areas, the 'problem', the solution and obstacles to implementation.

5. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Interesting. Why do you think this? My proposal does not (at the moment) say who should have the job but does identify the ideal skill set (I won't lie, I have those skills... but this has kind of evolved out of a discussion about my future and some issues outside my normal remit which I helped tidy up).

6. install

install Star commenter

Mmmmm ....so be careful. Sounds like you are possibly defining your 'new' job role or even fighting for your current one.

See Union for advice just in case. It sounds odd that you need to convince SLT when in fact it may cause a reaction that you don't expect.