1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

writing a new policy

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kanddd, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I have been asked if I would write a policy on 'administration of medicines' within a primary school environment. Is there anyone who could put me on the right track as to where to look for a template policy.
    Thankyou

2. Often Local Authorities have general templates for guidance. However, the Policy should reflect the practice in your school. I would have thought that your school would previously have had a Policy for this and it should be one file.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

kanddd, what is your role in school? From your previous posts I get the impression you may be a support staff member, in which case it's a bit unusual for some in your role to be asked to draft a policy. And not very helpful of the school to give you no guidance on how to go about it. And I am also surprised that the school doesn't already have one that you can update.
    I'd start by asking if school has one you can update, then contact LA and ask if there is a LA model.
    Also look at these pages on DfE website. I think somewhere in the many links at the bottom of the first page (probably in the 2005 DfE guidance) there's a specimen policy.
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/pastoralcare/b0013771/managing-medicines-in-schools
    If you search online for 'administering medicine in schools policy' there'll probably be lots of examples of other school's policies