1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing a descriptive setting of space

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacherfairy, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have got a teacher from another school coming to observe me this week (the first of a few) and am in process of trying to plan my lesson. It's all a bit last minute so would appreciate throwing some ideas around as I want the teacher to get the most out of these visits.
    We've been using the Simon Bartram books based around Bob (The man on the moon). We are just about to start getting into Bob's Best Ever Friend and am thinking of getting the children to write a descriptive setting (thinking of the page where an asteroid has been causing havoc and is at risk of crashing into earth).
    Was thinking of getting children to watch a short clip of an asteroid crash (if anyone knows one out there let me know!) or listening to some music and imagining themselves as Bob. They interview each other on what they saw, heard, felt etc and then have to write a witness report (or a speech bubble of what was said on tv).
    Struggling to think how to differentiate it at the moment. Thinking of getting my LAs to improve poor describing words, maybe challenging HAs by including a simile?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

2. Hi everyone,
    I have got a teacher from another school coming to observe me this week (the first of a few) and am in process of trying to plan my lesson. It's all a bit last minute so would appreciate throwing some ideas around as I want the teacher to get the most out of these visits.
    We've been using the Simon Bartram books based around Bob (The man on the moon). We are just about to start getting into Bob's Best Ever Friend and am thinking of getting the children to write a descriptive setting (thinking of the page where an asteroid has been causing havoc and is at risk of crashing into earth).
    Was thinking of getting children to watch a short clip of an asteroid crash (if anyone knows one out there let me know!) or listening to some music and imagining themselves as Bob. They interview each other on what they saw, heard, felt etc and then have to write a witness report (or a speech bubble of what was said on tv).
    Struggling to think how to differentiate it at the moment. Thinking of getting my LAs to improve poor describing words, maybe challenging HAs by including a simile?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

What year group is it? I had assumed Year 1 cos it sounds like the fantasy worlds stories, but similies sound a bit hard for year 1?!
    I'd be more inclined to differentiate by getting the LA to say their sentences and have an adult write for them, maybe on to a WB for them to copy, and HA just write themselves. That's assuming it's Y1 though.

4. Sorry! No it's Year 3...

5. I should change the title as I guess it's a description of an asteroid crash, rather than space...!