1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WRITING A CV FOR JOB IN UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by guisseppe, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Firstly thanks to everyone that has replied to me in previous threads. I'm in the middle of re writing my CV on a dark, grey, rainy afternoon in Central London; while producing my CV I'd like to ask for some advice.
    Are there any particular's that I need to include in order to catch the eye of prospective employers who will gaze over my CV?
    Should I consider modifying my layout?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

regards
    guisseppe

2. Firstly thanks to everyone that has replied to me in previous threads. I'm in the middle of re writing my CV on a dark, grey, rainy afternoon in Central London; while producing my CV I'd like to ask for some advice.
    Are there any particular's that I need to include in order to catch the eye of prospective employers who will gaze over my CV?
    Should I consider modifying my layout?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

regards
    guisseppe

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There has been quite a lot of advice on this forum re. CVs. I would certainly get someone to check your grammar and punctuation. Some schools receive a lot of applications, so they are just looking for excuses to bin some of them straight away.

4. Hi, yeah that certainly seems to be the case. The threads that I've managed to come across are a little outdated though. I think I'll ensure I ask a colleague to read over them for me. What I am contemplating is what would turn people off (apart from grammatical errors) reading my CV? Or, what should I make sure I include?

I wonder, are you still working overseas yourself hippo?

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Really push what you can do outside the classroom as this is a big bonus (and expectation) at many schools.
    Keep the format simple, easy to read and eyecatching, really think about what exactly is required
    Use a non standard font (ie not Times Roman) perhaps something like Garramond.
    Keep it to absolute maximum 2 sides of A4

6. the hippo

As usual, stopwatch has made some relevant and helpful points. Yes, I would say that 2 sides of A4 really is your limit. Make sure that you include a passport-sized photo and do not forget the telephone numbers AND e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
    I am not sure about Garamond. I'm a fan of Perpetua (very posh) and Bodoni (or is it Bodini?)
    I know that this may sound blindingly obvious and oh-my-God-Mr-Hippo-why-are you-wasting-everyone's-time, but please, please double check with your referees and make sure that they are aware that you have given their names, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Check also that they are okay with being contacted (often at weird and inconvenient times) and that they are going to say some POSITIVE things about you.
    Yes, I am still here in Doha. Mrs Hippopotamus likes the new apartment, but she is worried about her singing disturbing the neighbours.
    Yesterday I actually met someone who had contacted me via a PM and we then exchanged a few e-mails. Her husband is now my Key Stage 2 co-ordinator. At the end of last term, Steve McAllister actually bought me a beer at the Ramada. (He's the guy who is in charge of the recruiting for a certain school near Doha.) It's a small world...

7. No shed?

8. the hippo

Perhaps you can shed some some light on this, FP, unless you are thinking of a dreadful old Monty Python sketch.

9. I had a drum kit when I was younger. My mum told me to put it in the garden shed and play it there - I even lined the whole thing with egg boxes. The result of this state of the art sound proofing was that I could still be heard about 14 miles away.
    My neighbour went utterly cuckoo.

10. the hippo

Perhaps you are in the right country, Foneypharaoh. The Egyptians are a very noisy lot. Well, that was my impression after two years in the Land of the Nile. On the other hand, I still yearn for a cold Sakara and some hot felafels from the street vendor in Heliopolis, just round the corner from the jellymould. (Somehow I survived six terms with Captain Black in the British school in the new city for ex-alcoholics on the Suez Road.)