1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writing a conclusion

Discussion in 'Primary' started by School Boy Error, Sep 12, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Year 5s If it's non-fiction you're talking about, very simplistically,we divide the information into 3 parts
    Introduction-What we're going to be writing about-so statement, argument etc,
    Middle section to put different sides etc. (if a balanced argument) or point of view
    Last section summing up what we've said and giving own decision/ point of view etc.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For fiction I generally say it is the part where everything gets sorted out and finished off.

For non-fiction I generally say it is a summary paragraph. So if someone was in a rush, and didn't have time to read your whole piece, they could just read that last paragraph and know what was what.

5. I wouldn't include "everything getting sorted" as part of the conclusion in fiction, if by that is meant the resolution of the conflict or problem. A reflection on what has been learnt etc is more my concept of conclusion, like in films the quieter part after the climax of action.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

minnieminx summed it up perfectly- as usual! (my brain's not quite in working order yet as being a supply I've not been in a classroom since July)

7. Are you familiar with the story mountain stages? I'm sure it separates the main action of the resolution from the ending eg:
    http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/english/pdfs/StoryMountain_TL.pdf

8. This view would make the conclusion the answers to such questions as:

Does the story end
    happily ever after? What
    have people learned? Have
    characters changed?

9. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Brilliant, thank you for all your help.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with you that resolution is not the same as conclusion. Totally.

By everything sorted, I would teach tying up loose ends, what happened to characters not in the resolution, that kind of thing.

And I try so so so hard to not allow 'And then they woke up' Or 'And it all a dream' as a final sentence!