1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Writers Craft

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, May 2, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

How do you help children to plan for their writing...what help do you give them? Do you talk about VCOP at once or ask children to focus on one area in particular?

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

One at a time. Don't overload, particularly with P4 (I think that's what you said it was)
    I'm assuming you're starting with a piece of text that the children are continuing?
    I'd begin by discussing what the story has been so far. What possible directions might the story take? Discuss the style that the author has established? Scary? Humerous? Spooky? etc.
    In pairs get children to quickly jot down what they think will happen in the story and continue from there. Set the S.C. with the children. Stop for sharing maybe twice throughout the lesson.
    I hope this helps? I'm not a lover of children thoroughly planning their writing - it turns into them just writing their story anyway and disrupts the flow.

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Yes the children have been given the start of the story and I was going to ask the children to help me complete the first pargaraph and then get the children to tell me what could go into the middle and ending paragraphs.
    Is it enough to ask the children to look at Captial Letters and full stops, connectives and adjectives for the SC?

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I would do the capitals and full stops and only one of those as you'll be wanting to focus on the content and the actual writer's craft bit too.

5. I would always ask the children to plan their VCOP as well as the story. I agree that over-planning the content of the story can prevent flow but having the VCOP written down helps (it also helps the children if they cross the VCOP off as they use it, that way they don't forget to include anything.) I use the Andrell forum lots and lots when I have questions about VCOP because Ros Wilson created the Big Writing program. The staff there are very prompt at responding to questions and I have found them very helpful in the past. Follow this link:
    http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/forum/ Hope that this helps [​IMG]

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Highland Literacy Project have a Writer's Craft section.
    http://www.hvlc.org.uk/hlp/
    Click on the links in the turquoise box on the right.

7. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am back. I have been reading both the above websites and I still feel very unsure. This week I have the start of a story for the children to read and copy into their books. I want them to write the middle and ending paragraphs...can you talk me through step by step the strategies you use..would use when doing this sort of task. Thanks

8. cassie511

cassie511 New commenter

I'm not sure why anyone is doing "writer's craft" these days. Writer's craft was a 5-14 term and is not mentioned anywhere in CfE. Writer's craft was a reading strand. The NA tested whether or not the children understood the piece of text (comprehension); if they did they would be able to continue it in the same genre with the same characters, setting etc. It was never intended to be an imaginative writing actvity.
    Continuing a piece of writing could be a useful activity but you need to be clear about what you are assessing.