1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WRIT composite score

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ELLEN2191, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ELLEN2191

ELLEN2191 New commenter

Hello,

Just a quick question, how do you report a composite score for the WRIT and comment on the range.

For example, the verbal analogies is 78 and the vocabulary is 70,I have checked that there is no statistical difference.

I add them up to give me a score of 148.

Now, do I divide by 2 to give an overall score?

Thanks in advance.

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Page 174 in the back of the manual.

3. ELLEN2191

ELLEN2191 New commenter

Thank you. But I would like to know how to comment on score in terms of the ability? Do I divide the composite score by 2?

4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Do you mind me asking when you were trained to use the writ?

It is a protected and restricted test, and level 7 courses which qualify you to use the test should include an observation of you using it and writing about it. It is a test which can cause great harm if misinterpreted.

You have been directed to page 174 by @SayItLikeItIs and they are correct. If you can not use this advice then professionally and morally you need to stop your report and seek advice. If you are a trainee, then approach your mentor.

5. ELLEN2191

ELLEN2191 New commenter

You are right, I am trainee, my mentor is currently unavailable due to sickness so thought I would ask on here! No offence to be caused

6. lizzielh

lizzielh New commenter

There is a worked example on pg 49 - you really need to work through this to understand how to calculate scores. I understand that your mentor is ill but the information is in the manual.

7. ELLEN2191

ELLEN2191 New commenter

On the worked example, you add them together, however if I wish to comment on the ability how do I convert the added scores to do so?

8. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Page 174 of the manual... Said three times now!

9. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Here's the thing: you have to do this yourself, using the manual. No one else is allowed to do this for you. From time to time I do see diagnostic reports where test results have been reported as one score in the body of the report and then the same result reported differently in the table of results Appendix. This morning, I was passed a report where the age and date of the student was reported incorrectly by 5 months. This may have resulted in some wrongly derived standardised scores, unless the assessor used the correct age but simply typed it incorrectly in the report. Who's to know what went wrong except the assessor?

It is crucial that you score the WRIT yourself, because you did the testing. Then you can be satisfied that every detail is correct. I do think that the tables in the manual are self-explanatory and not hard to follow. You just have to be very careful about tracking across. If you really think there is something that you are missing then you must ask your training organisation for support so that you can use the manual yourself. If your mentor is so unwell as to be completely unavailable, then this will either have to wait, or you could ask for another mentor. If your mentor is unavailable for the foreseeable, then the latter course is probably better, whilst your observations are still fresh in your mind.

Flanks likes this.
  10. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking questions to clarify understanding. I think the WRIT is one of the more difficult tests to understand what the results are showing.

I’m always glad when someone asks a question. There are endless questions when it comes to a deep understanding of assessment practices.

11. Joy1959

Joy1959 New commenter

I echo SayItLikeItIs - I actually think the WRIT is straightforward - I struggle more getting to grips with the WIAT-II-UK(T) as I only use it occasionally! However, it really is important to administer, score and report on each test 'as per the instructions in each manual'. If you aren't sure how to use a test, go back to whoever trained you when you did your SpLD qualification and ask for help. If you have qualified, Communicate-ed offer online training modules that explain how to administer, score, report on a range of the most commonly used assessment - and the hours contribute to CPD. You can watch the demo as many time you like (or need to) in the assessment window and you also get the handout to refer back to the next time your mind goes blank! PS: don't add scores for sub-tests and divide by 2!