1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wow words - ambitious vocab

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shetland-kat, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Is this the same thing??? Does Ros Wilson have a set selection of wow words or ambitious vocab for each level or is everyone making up their own selection of words/vocab?

2. Is this the same thing??? Does Ros Wilson have a set selection of wow words or ambitious vocab for each level or is everyone making up their own selection of words/vocab?

3. Made up my own. What year do you teach? I will post it on the resources if it is relevant to you. I teach Y5/Y6.

4. I have them too, i have all the ages and stages. One teacher school. Thanks, would love to see what you have done!!

Kat :)

sweethoneyness99@hotmail.com

5. I think also it depends on the year group and genre, you won't use the same wow words for a traditional tale as a explanation

6. C30

C30

7. Hi there Chatty-teacher - I agree with what you have said. Talking of wow words I asked my 4 year old if he needed some help "No, mummy," he replied, "I am quite capable."

8. You have mail!

I have also sent connectives and sentnece openers for display!
    x

9. Hey Shetland cat Would love to see what you have for y3. Lots of pyramids i have seen come with whole range uyp to y6 and really its far too much for children lower down the school.
    bowditch7@btinternet.com

10. thanks! That link to prompts was very useful.

So, your wow words are not in a pyramid shape, just a display of wow words???

Thanks for all your help!!

11. Ros Wilson says that the children should choose their own WOW words to give them ownwership, and that other children can 'steal' or 'borrow'their words.

I get the children to find their own words from a text or use a thesaurus and they then list them in vocabulary book so that they have them ready for writing.

I also get them to choose a word from their list and write it on a card (about 8cm X 20cm). They make it big and bold and colourful, then I display these words so that others can see them and use them. It worked really well last year.

12. cb52, if i find anything, ill send it your way!

13. The children have a pyramid on their desks, which is levelled. I do something similar with display where I start the year off with WOW words which I have made, so the children know the expectation and don't start suggesting words like 'nice', and then they make their own up.

14. nixi - i like that idea. When i was reading Harry potter i started to make a list of unusual words that i would never use (incredulously, vanquished, sycophantically, querulous, austere, majestically....) and thought it would be a good starting point to show that i stil find new words. (There are loads in Harry Potter!!!)

Any thoughts on this? I then thought about making a wizzarding display about wow words stemming from this.

What do you think?

15. Thanks for the links C30, I have looked at the lancs site loads of time but never seen the table top tips.

16. Shetland-kat - I agree that we should show the children that we can still find new words and this would be great for modelling, but then the children should be encouraged to look for their own.

I forgot to say that sometimes I get the children to work in mixed abilty pairs to look for WOW words then the less able readers can use their partner's expertise to help them find new words and discover what they mean.

17. C30

C30

Yeah the lancs site is a minefield of great stuff! I ended up having to keep track of what I had clicked on or not so I could get round everything but it was definitely worth it!

18. in my class each child takes turns in being the wow words scribe and they jot down any from the text we are reading, own books or if someone says a great word. These are then written up in 'big' pen on coloured card and they go round the board.

19. we also accumulate wow words like that but put them on VCOP board. I sometimes use a selection of them for early work when the children can put them into sentences and then the following day make them better!