1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow starter for "up up and away" topic!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by natalie28, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hello,

Any great ideas for how to start this topic with a bang welcome the children are mixed year3/4. Over the 6 weeks we will be looking at the history of flying, stories set in imaginary world (any good books recommended too?), instructions, and friction in science (which will involve a rocket launch day later in the topic).

Thanks In advance!

2. Hello,

Any great ideas for how to start this topic with a bang welcome the children are mixed year3/4. Over the 6 weeks we will be looking at the history of flying, stories set in imaginary world (any good books recommended too?), instructions, and friction in science (which will involve a rocket launch day later in the topic).

Thanks In advance!

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

have some balloons etc hanging from the ceiling, perhaps a rocket crash outside, gliiter across the classroom could be an alien visiting etc

4. During the first week we are doing all about the history of flight so I plan to set the classroom up like an aeroplane (not sure how yet!) and then using a you tube clip we set off on a tour around the world to find out about how flying has evolved! Children will be the "explorers" and will have to research one particular date! Might do our own video putting what we find out altogether later on in the week! Any more ideas? How can I make the classroom look like an aeroplane (got to be cheap!)

Thanks!

5. Also any more ideas for how to transform the classroom when we start doing stories set in imaginary worlds!!

6. rainbowdrop86

before asking for more help, a simple thank you wouldnt go amiss for the ideas already given

7. Sorry! Thanks! :) thought i had already said it (my fault shouldn't come on here on my phone!) I really wanted to do the rocket crash landed but I work in a huge junior school and they did it a couple of years ago so some of the kids would know and may spoil it!

8. rainbowdrop86

not a problem.
    ive been thinking but am struggling for ideas for a plane, apart from tin foil all around the class. Could you dress up the music trolley to look like the flight attendants trolley, maybe serve their lunch from it.
    Sorry rubbish ideas i no!! You could ask for passports/tickets as they enter the room, set up chairs into isles

9. stories set in imaginary worlds.... I've been teaching year 3/4 and have done The BFG and The wizard of Oz, both very very popular with the children.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I used Cloudland and The Emperor of Absurdia[​IMG]

11. Yes definitely going to do the passports and tickets! :) and set up the chairs in aisles (maybe use the tables turned on their sides as the sides of the Plane! Maybe could make some wings with big cardboards (if there's time!)! Thanks for the ideas! And in reckon out laptop trolley could pass as an airhostess trolley!

Oh those books look good! Iv bought a Winnie goes to space as an end of day story and was going to use James and the giant peach as a class reader! But def need lots more as my class love stories and I love reading!

Thanks for all the ideas so far! :)