1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow start for Polar Regions topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Dec 9, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hi all.
    I like to start my topics with a wow. Eg WW2 the classroom was destroyed, dragons and dinosaurs found a dinosaur egg etc
    My next topic with year 2 is polar regions, focusing particularly on the animals in antarctica. Im really struggling to think of a wow start. Any ideas to help me?

2. rainbowdrop86

Hi all.
    I like to start my topics with a wow. Eg WW2 the classroom was destroyed, dragons and dinosaurs found a dinosaur egg etc
    My next topic with year 2 is polar regions, focusing particularly on the animals in antarctica. Im really struggling to think of a wow start. Any ideas to help me?

3. Depending on your parental resources, you could perhaps get a small boat or dinghy to be 'washed up' into the playground. Inside they could find a tangled fishing net hiding a message from the penguins asking humans to give their fish back. (Yes, I have just watched Happy Feet!)

4. rainbowdrop86

good idea, thank you.
    Any others???

5. rainbowdrop86

my ideal start would be something along the lines of children coming into school where the classroom is freezing, they need to wear coats, gloves, scarves etc, build an igloo to survive, collect sticks to make a fire etc.
    This is my ideal wow, but not sure how viable it is. i saw an idea about bringing in a suitcase with winter clothing but this isnt really wow enough for me.
    Perhaps someone could help turn my ideal idea into a realistic plan of action!!!

6. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

How about filling water trays with interesting objects and then freezing them (perhaps leave them out over night) Could be objects from polar regions or perhaps artefacts left over from a lost expedition. If not possible on a large scale do something similar that fits in a freezer e.g. make a polar bears foot print etc. You could also try making igloos from ice cubes (supermarkets sell bags of these)
    Dont forget to have clips playing from Frozen Planet on the iwb!

7. rainbowdrop86

another great idea, love the idea of frozen objects. and yes have already got hold of the frozen planet series on DVD
    ive found instant snow online, which i think id like to cover the tables with. Find some way of making the windows look frozen (will ask the caretaker bout this as he used to be a graphic designer) and perhaps hang snowflakes from the ceiling. then children could perhaps find the suitcase with winter clothes etc, or discover the frozen objects. discuss what they think they are and where they've come from. I'd then like them to build large igloos that they could get in, perhaps outside in the cold to be authentic but not sure what i could use for this, apart from thousands of cardboard boxes!!!

8. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Ikea sell a nice igloo style tent which is great for reading in and lots of other uses?Make up a base camp? etc

9. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I'm in nursery but we have been exploring 'Winter' and have created a polar region scene in a those large trays - using blue shiny paper, cotton wool rolled out and balls, plus fake dropped on it. We've also added in penguins and polar bear toys, plus real ice cubes.
    Today to extend the children's learning in this area I have added in Sugar Cubes which we have been using to build igloos with and its been so much fun!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Lots of things frozen in ice...you can fill freezer bags with water and then pop in the freezer and such like.

Just after Christmas there ought to be a fair about of fake snow and spray snow and the like around and about on sale.

11. rainbowdrop86

Thanks everyone. This is my plan:
    decorate class with snowflakes and icicles. Instant snow on surfaces like tables etc. Frozen items hidden in snow. HT to stop us before we get to class to say something strange has happened, need to be appropriately dressed etc. On go wellies scarves etc to enter room. Search for clues look at suitcase etc. Make marshmellow igloos. Make giant milk bottle igloo over 1st 3 days. Find letter inviting them to go on expedition etc

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

LOVE IT! Can I join your class?
    Don't forget gloves to investigate the icy items.

13. How?! I'm starting Arctic / Antarctic topic after Christmas too - never done anything like this but would love to try it out.

14. rainbowdrop86

Google it!! Lots of pics and videos

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You might want to send home a letter this term asking parents to secretly pack a little back with wellies and scarf/hat/gloves etc for the first day. Not every parent will, but at least a fair number will then have what they need.

Threads like this remind me why I'm such a naff teacher!

16. We did this in Reception last year ad the children came in to find a huge (Paper mache) egg. ( I know you've done eggs). It could be hatched or unhatched. What about penguin paint foot prints around the class, or what aboutfeathers or a nest in the corner of the class. What about some type of bird dropings.....?!

17. Did you know Helen from Blue Peter set off on an expedition to the South Pole today, which will run through January? There is bound to be plenty of news on their website and maybe the opportunity for the children to post messages to her.

18. This sounds fab and has made me remember how exciting it should be to start a new topic. I'm doing the contrasting locality in uk geog unit after Christmas (aka Katie Morag) which I and the kids always love and I refused to give up when we changed curriculum. Any fab ideas for WOW starter to this topic????

19. Ha ha, that's what I thought.
    (About me, not you!!)

20. Crumbs!