1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow science inset advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kaf80, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I've been asked to run a science Inset and was hoping to inspire colleagues with some 'Wow' hands-on practical activities. I've done a few in the past but have run out of original ideas that they might not have seen before. Also I'm in primary so might I do not have access to some of the exciting resources used in secondary!

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.......feeling under pressure now!!!

2. Hard to say without knowing which ones you've already done. I still remember all of us enjoying inset in which we were given alka seltzer tablets and the old camera film canisters, which are fired off when you wet the tablet. Maybe if you could tell us what you've already done, we can think of whether we've heard of or seen any others.

3. A very good point!! I've done the errupting volcano, food colouring in milk, mentos and coke, balloon kebabs, how many drops on a coin, reaction test using a ruler, cans of drink in a tank. Oh and creating rainbows on black paper- think we used nail polish in water then place the paper on top. Think that's most of them that I've done.

Any ideas???????????

4. Anyone?

5. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I have a Science inset on Monday night! The British Science Assocation web site has some great stuff and links to other sites
    I particularly like a pack called 60second Science and I am using one of the activities from there as my start on Monday
    Hope that helps

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The other thing is to actually let teachers do the science activity from ther own and other years..so often teachers only do a small area and never look at another keystage of year!In fact often its the children doing it and not the teacher/
    Stop trying to wow and start with basics.you might be suprised how much they enjoy doing rather than being 'amazed',,,,,,your feedback from previous inset should have told you where the teachers weakness lay and thier needs.
    It might be good with each section/area/place to set some key questions or investigation so they can also use this togive thm ideasa on what they might challange to children in.

7. Thanks for your help!!!

8. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I have some things I can e-mail you if you leave your address. Also look at Steve Spangler and Dr Mark's websites - they are full of fun ideas.

9. That's great.... thanks msmuse. I've sent you my email!!!

Thanks again!!

10. mk84

mk84 New commenter

Hi msmuse
    Im new to science leadership, could I have a copy of your ideas for inset? I would really appreciate it.
    mk84