1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow science inset advice.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Kaf80, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I've been asked to run a science Inset and was hoping to inspire colleagues with some 'Wow' hands-on practical activities. I've done a few in the past but have run out of original ideas that they might not have seen before. Also I'm in primary so might I do not have access to some of the exciting resources used in secondary!

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.......feeling under pressure now!!!

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Incandescent petomanage always goes well I find.

3. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

Superb idea!

4. Masfar

Masfar New commenter

Not sure if I'm being daft but what exactly does that entail?

5. Do you have access to bunsen burners?

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Op sounds to me like he might be primary because i doubt a science teacher would be wowed by anything on a school based inset day.

perhaps he/she needs to tell us what key stage she is teaching in.

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

We had the Magna 'Kitchen sink' guy in and he did some wow science.
    2 milk bottles one fullof green liquid (water with green food colour) the other with cheap yellow cooking oil. He said he had got the wrong liquids in the wrong bottles and needed to swop SO piece of cardboard...very quickly put cardboard on top of yellow bottle tip up on top of green bottle, pull cardnboard out and watch the liquids move into the right bottles...amazing.

8. That sounds great.....thanks!

Yes I'm primary so I don't have access to bunsen burners [​IMG]

9. You could try some open ended investigations such as
    'dunkability of biscuits' where students have to decide on the variable they will investigate,
    'how many drops of water on a penny' again looking at variables.
    'tuberology' design an animal from a potato, 2 pipe cleaners etc then they have to classify them or meet certain critera.
    'wonka quality check' measuring diffferent chocolate bars (ie 8 mars bars, and compare to 8 kitkats) to look at average and range.
    They are quite simple but contain lots of science and its always suprising how much students/teachers like doing these.
    Hope this helps. They also don't need too much equipment so would be useful at primary school.

10. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

http://www.saps.org.uk/primary - lots of stuff you could think about doing....