1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow science activities needed.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kaf80, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Due to hold a staff meeting soon and I always like to give staff a few 'Wow' factor activities that they hopefully haven't done before. I've done the mini volcano, milk and food colouring trick, how many drops on a coin, the balloon kebabs, ruler reactor .....but one other suggestions will be welcomed!
    Thanks!

2. Due to hold a staff meeting soon and I always like to give staff a few 'Wow' factor activities that they hopefully haven't done before. I've done the mini volcano, milk and food colouring trick, how many drops on a coin, the balloon kebabs, ruler reactor .....but one other suggestions will be welcomed!
    Thanks!

3. A great challenge is trying to build a tower out of marshmallows and raw spaghetti.

4. That's a good one! Thanks! Any other suggestions?

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

alka seltzer rocket?
    Decorate an old film canister to look like a rocket, put in an alka seltzer and about quarter/half water, quickly put lid on, place lid down on the floor and stand back!

6. Rosemary Feasey books are great if you can get hold of one.

7. I like KS1 showing how a plant "drinks" water by putting stick of celery into water with food colouring - cut it in half and see the coloured water in the celery.

8. 'Diving raisins'
    Raisins in a cup of fizzy water or lemonade. Bubble grow on raisin, raisin rises to the top. Bubble pop, raisins 'dive' back down to the bottom of the cup.

9. Thanks!

10. inq

inq

Can they find at least 3 ways to blow up a balloon without blowing into them:-
    yeast, warm water and sugar in a bottle with a ballon on the top
    vinegar in a bottle, bicarb in a ballon, attach the ballon to the top of the bottle and tip the bicarb in
    Attach a balloon to a plastic bottle - run under a hot water tap

It used to keep Y6 happy investigating for a short while!