1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow science activities for Y2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, Sep 5, 2010.

1. My new class said they didn't like science very much 'because of all the paper!' I think they were filling in lots of work sheets and assessment tests!!
    So, I would like to start my science with a carousel of exploratory activites. e.g. magnets, bubbles with soap liquid, marbling to try and generate a bit of excitement before I start on the QCA units. Does anyone have any other ideas which are easy to set up and which groups of children could do on their own?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Hi, I'm not Primary so please excuse my lack of syllabus knowledge. Is there anything you need to do to discover different materials.
    My Y2 daughter loves touchy feely materials and I play games of blindfold and guess, or if this has H&S issues, put hands into a box to identify.
    I do like your idea, I know my daughter and friends would come home talking about science if it was that much fun.
    Well done.

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have got a list of one minute science experiments and others which I got from googling. I have some others which I am sure I got from TES resources.
    If you can't find them pm me and I will send them to you.
    I teach YR2/3 and they love them.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

Liba, did you get my message? I haven't used this before and don't want you to think I haven't replied!

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

Sorry should be replying to silver2003 ! Hope my brain kicks in for the first day with the children tomorrow[​IMG]

6. man501

man501 New commenter

There are a whole host of fun things you can do to get them interested however getting them to understand the science would be the trick.
    You could make 'lava lamps' using water, cooking oil, salt and some food colouring
    There is also making a newtonian fluid - adding cornflour to water so when you hit it is is hard and when you let fingers just sink in it is a liquid. All year groups love this from my experiences.
    You could also do 'sucking' (pushing doesn't sound as good) a hard boiled egg into a bottle, always fun to watch and get them thinking how did that happen.
    Making volcanoes using bicarb and vinegar and some food colouring
    There are a whole host but all of those are quite simple to do and good fun (often messy :) )

7. Make sure you have a clear investigative focus eg observing, or asking questions or explaining - or all of the above!
    Try putting mixed fruit into cheap value lemonade bottles - different fruits react differently because of the bubbles and you get some interesting ideas from the children.
    Drop some water onto brown and white sugar cubes - often the brown sugar is made with brown dye so you can see it come off!
    Felt tip stripes on filter paper then use pipettes to drop water on.
    Floating and sinking - can you make a ball of plasticene float?
    Let us know if you find anything else which works well.

8. Hi,
    Thanks for your offer and I'd be very grateful to receive any ideas.
    Liba

9. Hi,
    Thanks for your offer and I would be very grateful to receive any other ideas.
    I could send you my activities too, if you would like them.

10. zannar

zannar New commenter

I am happy to send what I have. If you pm me with an e'mail address I can send you the files.[​IMG]

11. zannar

zannar New commenter

liba and hardcore you both have mail.[​IMG]

12. kujayhawk

kujayhawk New commenter

New to Year 2 - can I have a copy too please?

lesley.armstrong@winxcode.com

13. Zannar

Would love to receive your resources if you have a minute!

treneman@sky.com

THANKS!

14. I found the one minute science resources here https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6002252
    I got these two ideas from the internet but can't remember where from. Will credit person / site when I findout.Idid them last year and the children loved them.

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Balloon
    blow-up</u>[/b]

Materials:
    Balloon, small funnel or straw, spoon, baking soda, vinegar, small juice or
    soda bottle

<ol start="1"><li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Stretch the balloon, so that
    it will be easy to blow up.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Use the straw to put two
    large spoonfuls of baking soda into the balloon.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Half fill the bottle with
    vinegar.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Stretch the neck of the
    balloon over the neck of the bottle. Don't let any baking soda fall in.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Hold the balloon up so that
    all the baking soda falls into the vinegar in the bottle.</ol>

What
    happened? When baking soda (a solid) and vinegar (a liquid) get together, they
    produce a gas called carbon dioxide. The gas takes up more room than there
    is in the bottle, so it blows up the balloon!

Raisin
    race</u>[/b]

Materials:
    Clear glass jar, plastic spoon, ginger ale, raisins

<ol start="1"><li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Place the glass jar on a
    flat surface such as a table or countertop.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Carefully pour the ginger
    ale into the glass. *If you tip the glass and pour the ginger ale gently
    down the side, you will keep more of the fizz in the liquid.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Drop two raisins into the
    ginger ale. Watch them race up and down.<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Use the spoon to remove the
    raisins. Squeeze one of them to flatten it. Now drop both raisins back
    into the ginger ale. Does one raisin go up and down faster than the other?<li class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:normal;">Put a bunch of raisins into
    the ginger ale and watch them race.</ol>

What is happening? Ginger ale has a gas called carbon dioxide dissolved
    in it. A machine pumps the gas into the soft drink at the factory, and then the
    lid is sealed. When you open the drink, the hiss you hear is the gas escaping.
    As the gas comes out of the spaces between the molecules of liquid, it
    sticks to the raisins. When there are lots of bubbles, they lift the raisin to
    the surface. There the bubbles break and the raisin sinks again.

15. Oop, sorry about the alien writing!

16. I amazes me how children can not like science and how teachers can sometimes teach it. In my opinion, it's the most hands-on, practial lesson to teach and to learn.
    Easy lesson starter to get children thinking, which they can do in groups by themselves leaving you time to so busy work and stuff:
    Set out a collection of odd objects, one per table, that each table has to work together to guess what the object is and what it's used for. After 10 mins or so, discuss whole class what they think the object is. To make it last longer, pass the obects round the tables so every group gets a chance to explore each object.
    I'm a trainee teacher in my 3rd year and we did this in a science lesson which was really good fun. Some of the objects our teacher didn't know what they were which somehow makde it even more intriguing!
    This can aloso be done in history (guessing time periods from objects), maths (guessing names of 3D shapes), and I'm sure lots more!

17. Yes I'd love to have some of your one minute science experiements. Our school is a small school in the vineyards overlooking Rome. There is a lot of nature where we can pick grapes and see them ferment or pick olives and make oil but little as far as science equpment is concerned, so any ideas would be truly appreciated.

18. Make a thermometer:
    Fill a small water bottle with coloured water to the top. Put a clear plastice tube part of the way down the tube with 20cm or so sticking out the top. Secure it at the top and make it airtight with plasticine. Put the bottle in a bowl of hot water and watch as the coloured water expands and begins to move up the tube. Take care - if your tube is too short and the water in the bowl too hot, the coloured water might shoot out of the top of the tube!