1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wow lessons please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosieandjim, Feb 16, 2012.

1. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

We have a visit from our school LLP on Monday (formerly SIP) . She is going to be doing a learning walk adn looking to see that we are suffiiently challenging the children, according to our assessment criteria. I am not really very sure what to expect as usual our head is not terribly open about these things. We were only tole about it on Friday before half term. According to our data apparently our maths is particulalry likely to be under scrutiny. I had planned to do data handling with my Year 2 class first thing on Monday morning. I am quite concerned as to how l can show that l am challenging my very able boys. I had planned to doa smartie experiment> the children will work in pairs adn they will have a handful of smarties and they will have to sort them into colours and then turn this info into a block graph.
    For my literacy l have planned to use my recedntly acquired fairy door to inspire the children to gather some good words to describe a story setting as an intorduction to our traditional tales topic.
    i would b really grateful for any ideas as to how l can stretch my more able group in maths and how l caould make the task accessible for my low ability group who are at abount 1c level without just sitting my TA with them.
    Thank you

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your LA could simply sort into two groups by various criteria and explain their choice. If you used dolly mixtures instead of smarties there are more options for choice.

The MA could have lots of smarties and so need to draw a bar graph going up in 2s. If they can say why they chose that scale and graph they will be well into level 3.

For the fairy door you could easily start the lesson by gasping in surprise (I'd do literacy first lesson to get the most from this) at the appearance of said door. Then discuss who and what might be behind it. LA draw and annotate what they think the land looks like. Middles create a word mat to use later with excellent vocab (maybe use a thesaurus) and more able write phrases and sentences to describe their imaginings. Obviously if your LA give you a phrase or sentence then go with it...no restrictions on attainment.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi, what kind of level are your HA boys? Are you thinking of them doing an independent activity? Could you do a matching activity where they match the data to the graph? Or set clues for them to create their own pictogram e.g. on different cards - 10 children have apples in their packed lunch. The difference between the amount of children with apples and pears is 5. Double the amount of children have pears than have apples. etc. Or could they collect data themselves -maybe continous data if they are really bright?