1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WOW! It has really happened...now what?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cityfree, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Not squabbling; Ian is one of the good eggs on here - just having a bit of 'pub banter'.

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Not really a fan of tea...although I don't mind weak chinese stuff in China Town. I know it was fun banter really.
    Currently considering leaving party (it was suggested to me today, had not thought about it before). Would China Town be too ironic?

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I think that would be a great idea.

4. Stopwatch - Have you done this before? I am just wondering, as anyone can go to the airport and post a receipt, so is there anything else I would need to be sure I'd get the money back.I have always wondered how it works.
    Thanks for your help.

5. The way it usually happens is that you have to have the goods with you as carry-on luggage. After you go through immigration there'll be a desk somewhere where a customs official will stamp your form(s) certifying that you took the goods out of the EU.
    Then you can either post away your forms or get the money in cash.
    So no, you can't just post a receipt from the airport and get the tax back. You must have the appropriate paperwork (which is filled in by the vendor), be leaving the country with the goods and get the forms stamped.

6. sangster2,

The VAT office is on the other side of the check-in desks, by the Duty Free shops so you can't get there unless you are flying out.

7. Have done it with a couple of laptops and other stuff - you don't get 20% back, that's for sure!
    But Primus is correct.
    I bought an item fform a shop for £2000 but the shop wasn't affiliated to the VAT return process...
    I would have been looking at about a £300 return.
    Not sure what return you would get on a plug adaptor.... [​IMG]

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Yes I have done it twice so far. Both times for a laptop.
    First time was in Heathrow 2004, where they had a desk and real people to talk to. I was given cash refund. I had to show the laptop, hand in the VAT receipt and proof that I was going to Egypt to live (visa in passport and letter from school)
    Second time, last summer at Manchester. No desk, just a box to post the forms. Again I had to state my address in Dubai. A couple of months later it was credited to my Credit Card.
    Therefore not just anybody can do it (eg someone just going to Spain for their hols).
    Further to the previous poster, different airports have diferent procdures (desk/letter box/real people/no people).

9. Thanks stopwatch. I have to admit my experience is limited to Heathrow. I haven't gone intercontinental from a provincial airport. To back up what foneypharoah said as well, I think the shop you bought the item from will take a cut of the refund and VAT was variable according to the item, or at least it was the last time I got any. So 20% is not what you'll actually get.

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I'm trying to think about what I need to replace so that I can buy it before I leave...but I don't think there is anything. I might have a think over the next six months...iPad maybe? I don't 'need' it, but I would like it.

11. ian60

ian60 New commenter

There's no such thing as too many adaptors, take a spare one in case you go on holiday to Spain.

12. Couldnt agree more.
    or Australia

13. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I had a chuckle at the weekend in Stamfords, looking at travel things. Saw an adaptor, which has sliding things so you can adjust it for where you are, came with a USB port as well for apple things. Thought of you all!

14. Gotta have one of those. I wonder if you can get them in Spain. Naaa!

15. True. But take too many and you will pay excess! It's a thin line..
    And (very seriously) don't buy them on board the plane; you will be screwed...
    Oh and 'city', learn a bit of Chinese 'ko ta noo li noot ski monn sa!'

16. Sorry, 'moon'...me and my Chinese spellings.. [​IMG]

17. Do you not have the classic 3-pin 13amp there?
    Christ, and I thought it was 'first world' down there..
    You bring us 'Neighbours' and now 'NO THREE PIN!'
    [​IMG]

18. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I am looking into different Mandarin course. There are a few in central London, but trying to get one a bit far out, so a little less money!

19. Mandarin - small tangerine/orange type things will be good for your health.
    Maybe not help integrate you into Chinese society. [​IMG]

20. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I had to check my spelling then for a moment...
    What is the difference between a mandarin, satsuma, tangerine and clementine? I've never been able to work it out.