1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

WOW! It has really happened...now what?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cityfree, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. Sorry, I do not know why mac, safari and tes forum, all mixed together, doesn't allow paragraphs. Excuse a few typos too! Another good website is for trains www.cnvol.com. The super fast trains are running so you can now zip around the east of China. Otherwise, it's a slower train to the west of China or hop onto a domestic flight.
  2. Finally invest in a laptop or tablet as the gubbins are in English. In the U.K, put skype and a paid & trusted VPN (virtual private network) on so that ,when you arrive in China, you can freely access the internet otherwise facebook, youtube and skype are a no-no!
  3. Oh, and do buy a 3G kindle 'cause then you can get, using Calibre, the newspapers for free daily and download from Amazon without internet connection (... who can tell I've drunk 3 cups of coffee before 8am?)
  4. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    If you get a laptop or any expensive electrical item, make sure you get a VAT receipt. This is NOT the same as a normal till receipt (don't let any sales assistant tell you it is).
    You can then post this into a HM duty/excise letter box at the airport (ask at checkin where this is situated) and hey presto the VAT gets refunded to your credit card.
    ps many shops aren't used to being asked for a VAT receipt. Check they have them before you buy. PC World and Curry's definitely have them.
    20% refund - brilliant!
  5. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    The coffee is very clear for all to see Billie! Who would you reccomend for a VPN? I have Skype already, but I was wondering about internet access, I know that free comms is not easy (to say the least). Do you mean getting a dongle style thing? [​IMG]
    Good tax tip there as well. I have my own laptop but I am quite tempted to get an iPad when the new gen comes out. I have an iPhone at the moment, with a kindle app, but it is another thing to think about.
    I keep looking around my flat, thinking about what I will take and what I will not. Sorting clothes for charity shop today (not many things to go as I am not a huge clothes person) and I will take a couple of boxes down to sister #1 at Easter.
  6. Ian - 'take an adaptor'
    She's not going to Spain for a fortnight.
  7. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    VPN stands for virtual private network. Basically it's software and a service that you sign into once you are online which lets you bypass the Great Firewall by assigning you an IP in a different part of the world. Without one, you will be somewhat restricted by sites you can access in China (e.g. no Facebook, Youtube, Daily Mail). There's many to choose from if you do a search and look for reviews.
  8. A plus point of not getting VPN!
  9. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    I guess it is just making sure I get a reliable one. I will check reviews before signing up. I think it will be a good plan. I will ask my 'buddy' when I get assigned one, incase there are any good ones they know of.
  10. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    Miss you there FP. Agreed. [​IMG]
  11. I'm not in China, but I thoroughly recommend the VPN service from My Private Network. I was recommended them by the owner of another VPN service after I had all kinds of problems. They've been fantastic and it's easy to use. It costs around £5 a month.

    You may also want to consider Hotspot Shield, which is a free VPN from America. It's handy for watching American sitcoms, but does have pop up ads.
  12. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    Just had a look at the website. Looks pretty good. I will check that I can access through China, but looks like a winner at £5 a month!
  13. Astrill is good. You can change the country and it's around 60 quid a year. Also, if you download bbc iplayer and set astrill to U.K, then you can download watch TV.
  14. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    I only look at the Football page!!!!
  15. We are currently living and working in Shanghai and use Astrill- very reliable. Most major cities in China have everything you would need. We came here 4 years ago with a suitcase each and will leave with a household worth of memories and items. If you send me a message i can send you lots of info.. Which city are you going to?
  16. Even worse!
  17. ian60

    ian60 New commenter

    OK, let us say she is taking a lap top which has a UK square pin to a round pin country, would you recommend she rewires it everytime she goes back and forth between countries?
    She has just arrived, and didn't have time to rewire her plugs before she left, is that the sort of thing you would like to be doing on your first day of arrival?
    Of course, the OP can pick and choose her advice as she wants and probably does not need others to pass comment.
  18. cityfree

    cityfree New commenter

    C'mon now boys (?). Let's leave the squabling out of it![​IMG]
  19. I didn't realise you couldnt buy adaptors in China, so good point ian60...good point.
  20. Take some teabags too, just in case there isn't any in China.

Share This Page