1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you work in s free school?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by alba21, Jan 23, 2016.

1. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Hi,

I've just returned to work after having my first baby and would like to move to a school closer to home- the hour long commute I currently do now seems silly and such a waste of valuable family time. I have been allowed to go to four days a week which is pretty generous as I am HOD.

A job has opened up just 15 mins away, looks ideal but it is in a free school that opened just last September. The school has extended hours (8-5) but it's unclear what hours teacher would have to do. Pay to be discussed at interview.

Would you work in a free school?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Me - not a chance (not that I have to work any more!). I do a bit of consultancy that takes me into a range of schools - and the free schools I've visited have all been run by SLTs with about fifteen minutes' experience between them and it shows.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If it's in Suffolk then don't go near any of them; they are all catastrophic. I think that's generic enough not to breach the T&Cs.

install likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ye es, in the same way I'd say a hesitant yes to working in a state school.
    Many are less than ideal, some are fabulous.

Go and visit and get a feel for the place. How old is the school? How old are the SLT? How viable is the school, long term? Have they had ofsted yet?

5. rich_hodgetts

rich_hodgetts New commenter

For me it would totally depend on the school in question - pretty much my philosophy full stop!
    Either leadership would need to be confident and capable or honest about being less so and open to middle leaders shaping the future of the school.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

It would depend if it was a "vanity" free school (Birbalsingh, Toby Young) or one that fulfilled a local need that was run by experienced SLT and governed by local people. Is it in a purpose-built (yet not overly trendy) building, or like the one near me, literally 9 portacabins piled on top of each other in the local Leisure Centre's car park? Context is so important, not just the type of school. Since LEAs can't open new schools, is this one that the LEA needs and fully supports?

7. install

install Star commenter

No because there are too many questions :
    1 How do contracts work in free schools?
    2 What happens during holidays?
    3 When does the school year start and end?
    4 Do they accept anyone?
    5 What happens in terms of illness?
    6 How long can you work there?
    7 How long will their money last?
    8 How many years can they afford to pay you?
    So....no....not yet anyway