1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you work in a school that is in Special Measures?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by IFF, Sep 26, 2017.

1. IFF

IFF New commenter

Just curious to hear from people who have had experience in this area. The people at the school seem so lovely but there are enough pressures in teaching - do I want the added pressure of being in a special measures school? Also I have just moved so was initially going to start supply until I settled in....in a dilemma! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends from School to School, but sometimes the 'extra help offered' via training and extra money plus the 'staff morale of 'everybody being in it together' can actually make it a better place to work in than an 'Outstanding School', where nearly all the staff are on Anti-Depressants to cope with the pressures and stress. :(

I've worked in both categories and enjoyed both for differing reasons.

Plus I was told fairly early on in my career that it was a good idea to have a 'difficult' School on your record, as it demonstrates your expertise and ability.:D

IFF and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

If you're supply then it's much more of a win for you. If you're half-decent then the school will want to keep you and can't risk sickening you off now. You might even be able to haggle your wage upwards, especially as supply work is now picking up as September ends.

Of course, this assumes that you can afford to be unemployed for a few days (or weeks) but you can spend time sussing out the place while being supply there if a contract is what you crave.

IFF likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Yes I would work at a Special Measures school (and have done). There are so many other factors at play than the big O.

IFF and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thanks Lara! I have worked in a couple of difficult schools in the past but not one that has been classed as being in special measures so was just wondering if it is worth the extra pressure! But yeah that makes sense too regarding the outstanding schools and the pressure there too!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. IFF

IFF New commenter

Love the flexbility of supply but now extra costs since I've moved are swaying me towards this new job - this is the dilemma I'm in! :)

7. IFF

IFF New commenter

That makes me feel better thanks! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Labels are very misleading and the key thing is the reasons behind the categorisation. Generally I have found that SM schools have a greater focus on developing teaching and making improvements so they look for and support the staff who can contribute to this.

IFF likes this.
  9. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

I remember one experienced HT giving the advice: "Never apply for a Headship in a successful school. You'll be blamed for everything that goes wrong. Always apply for a failing school, because any progress will be attributed to you."

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter