1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you work in a non-accredited school?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Karvol, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Could be dodgy as hell. Could just be a new school.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A scuba-diving friend of mine once defined PADI as "pay and dive immediately". Accreditiation for international schools is a bit similar, it seems to me. Quite a lot of "international" schools claim to be accredited by all kinds of different organisations, but if you scratch below the surface you find that they are nothing of the kind. Sometimes the "accreditation" really just amounts to a school doing some "self-evaluation" (a fairly worthless exercise). Another problem is that some schools have a very significant turnover of staff each year and this makes any accreditation process more or less meaningless.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I have worked in both accredited and non-accredited (good) schools. As Karvol says, new schools won't be accredited, though I have known one receive its IB Diploma authorisation before it was built. I am told that a diamond necklace changed hands.
    Organisations such as ECIS and SACS (even more so) apply a reasonably stringent system of accreditation. However there are so-called accrediting bodies to which Mickey Mouse (or Miguel Raton, as I'm currently thinking of one in Spain) would hesitate to lend his name.
    It is unusual these days for a school not to have a website. Mind you, I have known schools which had wonderful websites when their campuses were still building sites. I was founding Principal of one of them.
    I certainly wouldn't discount a school on the grounds described in the OP. Go to the interview and apply the automotive test. Would you buy a used car from this man?

4. Mainwaring

Apol<u>O</u>gies. Twas the perilous pachyderm.

5. Mainwaring

No twasnt. I should not have opened the second bottle.

6. Also I have noticed that small oil or other company schools (mining and sugar spring to mind) often do not have websites or much info on them floating about.
    A friend of mine is currently starting up a new school. It won't have accreditation for the first few years while everything else gets kicked into shape, but knowing my friend, it will be an amazing school.

7. Tell me about it! The old Smirnoff Blue likes a fight, eh, M?

8. volvic

volvic New commenter

Thank you for your messages! I appreciate it's not an exact science but it's good to get your thoughts. Interesting that lots of company schools don't have information - as far as I'm aware the school (in one form or another) has been around for a long time (50years+!) but it is a company school... We'll see what happens next week!
    Thank you again.

9. Hi Volvic
    I asked a similar question before, and found the thread very useful (Upped for you).

10. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

All schools had to start as new! But with a new school do meet the people as I just did. Got a nice little motor as well only one lady owner lol

With company schools surely assess the company? Say if BP sets up an oil workers school I would feel more comfortable than some Joe bloggs company!

11. Would this be a sugar company in the Caribbean?

12. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

In this day and age this is usually an important marketing tool. As it's not that difficult to create something, or that expensive to hire someone to do so if you haven't got the skills, I would be very worried about the management skills of this outfit.

13. If they are a company school, catering exclusively to the children of staff/workers, they don't need a marketing tool.
    Some of these schools have a page on the main company site or blogs, but no official site.