1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would YOU work for an agency?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by julieAndrews, Jan 17, 2012.

1. No I am sorry I wouldn't work as an educational (I say that with tongue in cheek) recruitment consultant..... Sorry they (not all) have the morals of an alley cat and many of them don't care who they shaft as long as they get their share of your hard earned money! [​IMG]

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I worked for one once for about 9 months, and it was so cut throat and target orientated I hated it. I ended up placing two teachers, who were then taken off me by one of the 'managers' with some made up excuse so i got no where near my target and left with a record of nil, ha. I hated it that much i broke out in stress excema on my hands and feet and had to wear gloves in summer!
    On the plus side though it introduced me to TES, and made me think that i could be a teacher (they were bringing ones in from Jamaica, some of whom were brill but some who couldn't do the job at all). So here i am about to start my first post. [​IMG]

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I had that email even though I haven't worked for that agency as a supply teacher for two years! No I wouldn't do it, I found the "typical day" explanation interesting though... as in the computer did everything for you down to finding the most suitable teacher! Very impersonal!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Supply slave, began to think <u>I</u> was 'losing it' when I saw this and couldn't read my reply.[​IMG]
    Then went on other forum and realise you double-posted! Panic over [​IMG]

5. Hi there,
    Yes I have had this email as well. Not really interested as such as I can't see the point to be honest eventually everything will come full circle as it always does and some bright spark wll decide that local authorities are better place to decide on supply for schools in their area.

6. Spoke to a nice person at a small agency I used to use and what he told me has put me right offWill now be staying at Asda until (or if) I get a teaching job.Also looks likwe I will be able to start the M. Sc. in Environmental Health in September as the placement element is being abolished - onwards and downwards.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's brilliant news! [​IMG]

8. ....no I FAKKING wouldn't.
    ...would rather become a politician at least that way I can see when someone wants punch my lights out!!!!

9. I like to be able to look at myself in the mirror and not hate what I see (well I'd like to look at myself in the mirror and see myself with Kylie's backside but that ain't gonna happen)... no way.

10. I am very naive, I thought the worst thing about being one of those consultants was having to start work at 7am and being fake and chirpy to clients all the time. What makes it a bad job?

11. As a rule of thumb, the people who work as education consultants are the human equivalent of a tapeworm inside a tapeworm inside a rat. I am better than that, hence I would never work for an agency. Poorly paid to treat people like sh1t. No. just no.

12. I could do the fake and chirpy routine (indeed one of the things I'm looking forward to dropping off supply is not having to indulge in that crappy small-talk routine each time they want me to do something I don't want to do) - altogether now, it's "Hi-iiiii it's X from X, how are you today?" (daze off and ignore completely what they're actually saying, wait for pause of breath).