1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you work at school past your bedtime?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Nov 11, 2015.

?

Do you work at school so late that you go to bed past your regular bedtime?

1. Yes, and very exhausted it makes me as well.

2. Not a chance.

3. I'm leaving teaching.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

One of my teacher friends (who incidentally wants to leave the profession), was bemoaning the usual half a term of one night a week festival of parents' evenings, open evenings, etc. And I said, I go to bed at 9pm. And I do. I don't do late nights full stop. I'm an old man. And I said, should I work for a school, could they compel me to work past my bedtime? I'm quite happy to come in early and run things early but I don't do late nights. Said teacher friend does the school day, then works until 9pm, then commutes home, then has to eat, go to bed and then get up and teach again. Once a week for about 8 weeks.

Bug her that! Luckily I work for a university, but it doesn't sound healthy does it? Eating that late, messing up the body clock. Dear oh dear, teachers must get exhausted! I'm afraid I rather think there should be a cut off at around 7pm beyond which one should not be able to be compelled to work.

Would you, do you, work past your bedtime?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm usually in bed watching the TV with Mrs Lanokia by nine.

I remember nights where school insisted we stay till 8-9pm. I have no idea why they think it's reasonable.

Then again, they [government] are trying to argue Junior Doctors into accepting 10pm as the start of overtime. Some people just don't have a clue.

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

TV in BED? Good grief! How decadent ! What is the world coming to?

oceanroc7 and lanokia like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Luxury!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Not AT school. I leave school by 5 most days, come home, do the family thing and then work in the evening. Though I have to admit, the longer I do the job, the less work I bring home with me.

oceanroc7 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My dad had a six figure job. Not showing off, just saying... he'd bring work home sure.. maybe once a week. And his job involved a lot of travelling... so he'd be away overnights sometimes.

When I was a teacher [past tense already!] I was bringing work home four nights a week and working Sunday. For far less money.

oceanroc7 likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

TV in bed at first then move onto the Kindle. Asleep by 10pm.

I'm not joking, he does eight, EIGHT, evenings until 9pm in the space of about 12 weeks.

And all the green pen dialogic marking, tracking grades and pay rises based on ludicrous statistical targets. (N=7)

No wonder he wants to leave.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I worked past my bedtime at least once a week for the last 6 years of my teaching career. In addition to that I worked past bedtime every weekday evening, and sometimes Sat and Sun too, for the last two weeks of every term. This was on top of in-class teaching for 38 hours and various HoD duties, pastoral stuff etc. There were more days than I'd like to count where the only time I saw my children was to wake them up in the morning, kiss them and then fly out of the door to work.
    It broke me.

10. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I think one parents' evening a week for half a term is reasonable. Parents work as well and need to attend when they are able, which for most people (inc parents who are teachers) is still the evening . Even then some zero hours and shift workers will lose money. There may be many reasons for leaving teaching but this isn't one.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why shove them all into half a term? And why 9?

But @RedQuilt - 38 hours contact time each week? I can't even imagine the workload that creates.

12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It was the result of a colleague being 'let go' so I had to pick up their teaching, manage my own plus try to undo a bit of a mess left by the colleague. Their teaching was all level 3 BTEC.
    I had a rather dramatic and complete breakdown due to it and then my head was on the chopping block. Not a happy time :(

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Well done for surviving!

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not living... surviving... the new motto for teaching.

monicabilongame and RedQuilt like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Parents evenings seem to get longer and longer - ours are 4 hours, I live half an hour's drive from school and get home after 9 on some of them.

Still better than a rural school I worked at years ago where the PE hours were 6 to 9.30 and I had a 40 minute drive home

I finished so late on one occasion I slept in the staff room (honest, not an urban myth)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

And the pointless open evenings seem to coupled with very expensive advertising hoardings and page adverts in papers. All of this and then it's your own Year 9s or 11s. And I recall a head telling me that pretty much most parents of year 6s had made their minds up. The whole thing is an expensive charade of late nights , burnt out teachers and wasted money.

17. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

I could live with that... If I got the time I spent in the evening back as time in lieu during the daytime... Or I was paid overtime (I know, I know.. Profession/ additional duties etc.).

Parents' evening until 6 or 7 is not so bad (after all it's only a 11-12 hour day:cool:) but 9pm?

Again, a few times a year maybe fine (I really appreciate my children's teachers staying late) staying late myself to return the favour for other working parents is ok for me (I might not enjoy the late night, but it serves a purpose). But regularly this late? On top of a full day of teaching?

I don't go to be particularly early, but I need at least 2 hours 'downtime' in the evening (hence not going to bed early!) to remain sane.

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I fairness some schools are trying to cover teachers so they can see parents in afternoons. not alot mind you

19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

My last school (academy) spent a six figure sum on advertising. A massive waste of public money.

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I expect it's just a cover for something else.

emerald52 likes this.