1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Would you welcome a ‘wellbeing team’ in your school?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 3, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Is teacher wellbeing a priority in your school? One headteacher believes that an environment where all staff can show their appreciation and offer support can create a culture of happiness in any school:

‘It’s obvious that with change comes immense pressure on staff, and from the start it was clear that we needed to introduce a clear focus on wellbeing. This was when the Wellbeing Team was born. Made up of staff from across the school: teaching assistants, teachers, cover supervisors, and then myself from the leadership team, we sought to ensure the wellbeing of all staff members was high.

Relationships and establishing a culture of shared responsibility is key to support staff wellbeing. I spoke with the SLT about having an open door policy so that staff felt they could come and speak about any issues.

We have worked really hard on creating a positive, open and honest culture in the school, in which all staff show appreciation and offer support – this is now a great strength of the school.’
    Dani Lang is the headteacher at Brimsdown Primary School

What do you think? Is this something that can be replicated in other schools?

https://www.tes.com/news/how-wellbeing-team-worked-wonders-our-school

hedgehogmad2000 likes this.
  2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Growth Mindset klaxon....
    As for standing up during staff meetings - seriously?

Sir_Henry and colpee like this.
  3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Feeling stressed and overworked? You’ll probably be thinking - lower the stress levels by easing up on the workload and don’t overreact to change? - Well you would be WRONG! what you really need is more meetings, more extra-curricular activities, more staff training, additional surveys to complete and some patronising advice on ‘growth mindsets’ Only then will you have a proper sense of wellbeing and be forever indebted to your boss! (and don’t forget to fit your day job in somewhere!).

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Should I be glad that SLT let us briefly into their ivory towers? So I can volunteer that I feel inadequate.
    Or should I be hacked off that they don't need to venture out at all and help with behaviour, or indeed be supportive in any sense?

thekillers1 likes this.
  5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

yes they are welcome to get out of a nice cosy office and into a classroom, thus relieving stress directly from those poor sobs who actually do the teaching. No massages, donuts, suggestions to work, "smarter not harder" or any of the rest of the cack. Just get more of the paid staff working on the frontline thus spreading the load for everyone else.

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

We need more initiatives like we need a hole in the head, or another tern of stupid Tory meddling.

cazzmusic1, lardylegs and thekillers1 like this.
  7. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

The health and safety leader is the business manager who has no teaching experience. Thus, this would be applied to the well-being leader. #pointless

Catgirl1964 and simonCOAL like this.
  8. thekillers1

9. schoolsout4summer

"Wellbeing Team" sounds a bit Orwellian.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So if the HT and other SLT offered to take lessons to give staff extra non-contact time, or cut the number of after school meetings...and if OfSTED was refused entry to the school (on the grounds they are terrible for staff well being), then this might be useful. Otherwise no.

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

A well-being initiative is likely to take the form of surveys, working groups, meetings and trainings which serve to tick a few boxes and demonstrate that management takes seriously the wellbeing of its staff, while simultaneously adding extra burdens to that staff and seriously impinging on their wellbeing.

This isn't about improving well-being. This is about being seen to improve wellbeing.

12. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

The most caring HTs I’ve worked for didn’t need to form a committee and come up with a ‘well-being initiative’.

They let you know that they were looking out for you by... looking out for you.

Personal examples: intercepting stroppy parents, offering advice on behaviour management and EMPATHISING, listening to our complaints and doing something about them, working with children (oh yes!), shielding us from the latest guff until it was seen to work or not, plus many more.

The last thing they’d do would be to write a piece for the TES to say how great they are in order to be seen as shining lights. Proper, genuinely caring people, not self-publicists wallowing in self-aggrandisement.

Two days back and I’m p1$$ed off already by articles like this.

13. thekillers1

Fook yes!

14. thekillers1

023B7A94-F44E-4DAB-B27F-95917D16170E.jpeg

Mrsmumbles and bessiesmith like this.
  15. hedgehogmad2000

hedgehogmad2000 New commenter

Yes 100%, I am in my last year of sixth form and there is not enough support for students or staff :(

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The best well-being is so embedded in the planning processes, you hardly notice it, it's just there.

17. thekillers1

0E8A7F25-9CC4-426E-9801-BFCBB56DEE35.jpeg

Yeah, I know

18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

No. Any 'team' introduced into a school gradually accrues more power to itself until it impedes the work of classroom teaching while growing a fat budget.

blazer, Mrsmumbles, colpee and 3 others like this.
  19. schoolsout4summer

1984 Wellbeing Team.
    [​IMG]

20. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Staff Wellbeing is a tick box bs exercise aimed at showing how wonderful SLT are when Ofsted wander in.