1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you wear a bodycam in your lesson ?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by FormosaRed, Mar 2, 2017.

?

Would you wear a bodycam in class

1. No

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Maybe in serious situations

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Some discussion in our school this week about this. The issue is a small handful of very disruptive students who seem to be running the school. Attempts to impose sanctions fail time after time because parents come in and take the side of the child. SMT tend to cave in and the classroom teacher is left with the continued disruption. If we had evidence that could be shown to the parents and SMT it would give us some support. However, it also raises some big ethical questions. Apparently two schools in the UK have already trialled the use of bodycams.

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Only do it if you have permission. Do not risk your career.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I was going to answer the poll and then I realised it didn't give the following qualification
    "No images shown without your consent".

I can imagine the body cam in full swing when suddenly my earpiece swings into life with
    "Insufficient progress being made back right. INSUFFICIENT PROGRESS BEING MADE BACK RIGHT".

It could mean that SLT never need to leave their office again.

4. JohnJCazorla

Most likely the school policy on cameras/ict/...etc will forbid any use of non-school cameras so it would only be school issued ones. And I was only half-joking above.

5. JohnJCazorla

If SMT won't accept a teacher's word for it then that teacher should be looking for a new school, before SMT come up with another solution to this irritation.
    If it's quite a few teachers then all staff need to present a collective ultimatum via their union(s) or some other means.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

1. What is different between a bodycam and a fixed camera? Nothing ethically I think. The key is that the bodycam will - more or less - show what the teacher could see. A fixed camera might get a more comprehensive view. Both will miss some events.
    2. What are the possible uses?
    • Recording misbehaviour relatively unambiguously: this might aid a discipline policy; might reduce the "Oh yes you did/Oh no I didn't" arguments; might allow the teacher to review the lesson and see what else went on that he/she missed
    • Recording teaching and learning: might also allow review as part of professional development; might protect the school and teacher from allegations in litigation that x or y topic hadn't been taught or had been taught incorrectly;
    • Recording teaching and learning might allow pupils who had missed a lesson or wanted a recap to catch up (I've seen a camera used thus for A Level revision)
    • Recording teaching: might be used as an alternative to observation; it could be argued that this would be less disruptive than having observers in the room.
    3. It's clear that incompetent or mischief-making management could misuse these approaches. I think it's also reasonable to work out that good, supportive management could use them very productively.
    4. Legal safeguards need well-informed advice: I can't provide that but the Information Commissioner's Office under the Data Protection Act would help. There are key questions of consent and data protection for staff and pupils, also of access to, and retention of, data.

FormosaRed and (deleted member) like this.
  7. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I teach English in the country of Myanmar. In each classroom there is a fixed CCTV cam. I also record my interaction with each student on my laptop cam.

The fixed cam is primarily used in case of an accident or injury in the classroom, so that the circumstances can be reviewed, (did the student fall over? did another student fight with her? etc).

The cam could also be used to monitor any inappropriate contact between teacher and student, (or even teacher-teaching assistant or student-student...).

I use my lightweight laptop to interact with each individual student, using English language apps that I write. It is impossible for me to remember the Myanmar name of each student, let alone recall each of their language abilities/mistakes etc after the lesson. By recording my interaction with each student, I can then review their 'performance' and decide if they need more individual assistance etc. The video recordings build up over the year to form a record of the student's (hopefully) progression in learning English. Their parents can access and view these videos (and my comments) via a secure log-in from their mobile phones, and leave their own feedback/questions for me.

A sort of Class Mojo, but created by me to meet the specific needs of my students.

8. Isoceles

Isoceles New commenter

I taught in a school with two cameras in every classroom. One afternoon the principal rolled in and collected about eight mobile phones, it was brilliant. Also able to pinpoint a child carving a swastika into a chair, I had no idea he was doing it, and it also backed me up on several disputes over poor behaviour.