1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you want to suck where the bee sucks?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I can remember being deterred from pestering my mother for an ice cream when the Mr Whippy van rang out its merry tune after she told me the man licks the ice creams before he passes them on to his customers. Coupled with that, the constant reminder to wash my hands after using the lavatory and not to drink from another kid's glass for fear of contracting bubonic plague or worse, my childhood lessons in hygiene were sufficient to ensure my survival.

So when I first heard Shakespeare's poem, and I'll admit to this day, I can't help wondering where the bees might have been prior to their sucking and whether whatever they sucked from would be better off being sterilised before I ever ventured to suck from it. Also whether attracted the bees might be lost in that cleansing process.

Who can advise?

Who wants to admit that they couldn't care less about hygiene so much that if it's good enough for bees to suck on, it's good enough for you.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Can't advise but I have to add that at my age it's blummin murder trying to get into a cowslip's bell....

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

... and you can forget flying on a bat's back. Ain't gonna happen.

lindenlea and Lascarina like this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Never mind Tinkerbell's knickers.
    Sorry, I was overcome by an image of Cupids and so forth.

vannie likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I agree with you, nearmiss. the little sods are too impatient to wait until before anyone has the chance to get off their mobility scooter. It's more than a job and half to find a taxi driver who is prepared to wait that long.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That was my very first thought when I read the OP so I laughed out loud when I read your comment.

I was brought up at a time when we had one bath a week and 'a good wash' with the flannel the other days. If our mum saw dirt on our faces she would spit on her hanky and scrub it off. We played in the gutters and stalked the bomb sites so we got filthy. So the thought of sucking where the bee sucks is as nought to me in terms of infringing the rules of hygiene.

Incidentally, when I was at the old Operating Theatre Museum the other day I saw an exhibit about poultices of mustard and kaolin and remembered how often we had whitlows on our fingers that were treated with a very hot bread poultice applied to the site with a bit of old sheet wrapped round and tied on. We must have got the whitlows through lack of hygiene or dietary deficiencies. Those were the days!

cissy3 and vannie like this.
  7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

And sharing the water with our siblings. By the time I got into the bath, the water was always cold (and, of course, there was no heating in the bathroom) and scummy from my older brothers.

Even now, a warm bathroom, a full bath and an enormous fluffy towel seem the height of luxurious living to me.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  8. cuteinpuce

Oh and no one knocking on the door desperate to get in.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

We didn't even have a bathroom so I went to the municipal baths. (I suppose I could have said I bathed in a sardine tin)

10. cuteinpuce

Whatever happened to municipal things: the municipal baths, the municipal dump? They don't seem to exist any more.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They're 'council' or 'local' now. Not the baths though; they've long gone.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Well sharing with a good friend is ok though? (Sister Pee mid-60s)
    image.jpg

cissy3 and InkyP like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Good point... googled it and it seems to be popular in the USA still...

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We went there a few years back and I remember seeing an old bar of carbolic soap, the size of a house brick. It was so nostalgic that I seriously considered swiping it! Just a sniff of it took me right back to the bathroom in which my mother tried to keep my brother and I reasonably clean, getting on for sixty years ago. In it was a large (or so it seemed then), cast iron bathtub over one end of which hung an enamelled geyser, which when it was running, made noises you associated more with Cape Canaveral! For at least nine months of the year it was far too cold and uninviting a place to want to linger. Like you, we had a bath once a week. The pleasure of being dunked in hot water was only a fleeting one, as the metal of the bathtub soon chilled any part of you that was in contact with it. In between times, we were herded into the bathroom every morning for a good, vigorous, and very cold, scrub down.

Lascarina likes this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I forgot to mention that this bathroom contained some fearsome 'instruments of cleanliness', such as a wooden, long-handled back brush with sisal bristles. A brisk application of this some brought a rosy glow to your skin. In my eight year old mind, I associated this brush with the snippets my mother used to read aloud from the local newspaper announcing that some teenage hooligan (by whom she was convinced Southall was overrun) had been sentenced to a birching.

16. cuteinpuce

My congratulations to the photographer for capturing a wonderful moment. What a fantastic photo. :D

cissy3 likes this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to have a friend who wouldn't eat honey because she couldn't bear to think of bees having been in it.

18. cuteinpuce

Isn't a lot of sand parrot fish poop?

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

But you don't eat it do you?

Lascarina likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My mother said the same!!!

They didn't wash their hands after going to the toilet!