1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

would you want to see heads teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Nov 14, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not really.
    To have extensive experience of teaching, yes, but I disagree with the article where it suggests that all HTs who don't teach are merely "sitting behind a desk". Most of the SMT at my school teach lessons and, if I'm honest, it's detrimental to the pupils in their classes because they get pulled out of lessons to deal with other stuff or have to get in cover while they attend meetings.

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Yes. Happens lots in Primary especailly in rural areas with small schools.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I think they should do example lessons or the odd lesson here and there. I haven't seen any of the SLT at my school teach and I'm sure I could gain some things by watching them. That said, the head at my school works extremely hard at what they do and spend a lot of time in meetings, so finding time may be difficult.

needabreak likes this.
  5. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yes. I have never worked in a school where SLT didn't teach until I moved to my current place where we have the head and two vice-principals that don't teach at all. One of them is in charge of teaching and learning, and yet sits in her office all day long, apart from when she's observing us with a clipboard. How can you be in charge of T&L and not actually teach ever?

Due to both Y6 teachers being off with stress the Head has actually had to step up and take some classes and it has been highly amusing to see him struggling with behaviour time and again, just weeks after a staff meeting in which he lectured us about how Ofsted will be looking to see that there is no 'low-level disruption' and that 'low-level disruption' could be something as trivial as a child looking out of the window in a lesson. When I went into one of his classes the other morning to ask him a question, the children were out of their seats chatting, messing about and he was shouting at them constantly.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I have always taught timetabled lessons. But any suggestion that I have been just sitting behind a desk for the rest of the week annoys the hell out of me.

monicabilongame and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  7. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

My head teaches all the time! I am constantly speaking and using my brain to teach.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I once had a head who did a little A-level teaching, but his students were constantly frustrated by the frequent engagements that took him away from the classroom when he should have been teaching.

jomaimai and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

needabreak likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Welcome, new poster florian gassmann.

11. Cliffedge

Cliffedge Occasional commenter

I agree but I think it should be more than the odd one. They should have to keep in touch with the problems they expect teachers to cope with.

needabreak likes this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

To be fair, the Head at my school teaches and openly admits in briefing he is not perfect and gets nervous for his own classes results!

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I could have not taught, when I was SLT. Others tried to avoid it and the timetable usually could facilitate it.

Apart fro loving teaching, which I was not willing to give up, I also took the view that I could not possible be i/c teaching and learning without teaching. I did not see how I could ask teachers to maintain standards I was not prepared to demonstrate myself.

14. Cliffedge

Cliffedge Occasional commenter

A pity there's not more about like you.

Dragonlady30, needabreak and ScotSEN like this.
  15. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I teach 0.3. I think it is important that I teach if I am to lead teaching and learning effectively. It is really hard work especially with everything else I have to do. I do not sit in my office all day.

jomaimai, midnight_angel and ScotSEN like this.
  16. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Never mind the teaching, I would love to see them applying all the new marking policies to all the classes mainscale teachers have to mark. The workload is becoming intolerable, always with the threat of not progressing up the payscale/ capability.

midnight_angel likes this.
  17. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Believe me, there are fewer things more awkward than having a teaching Head in your department doing the wrong things! :D

jomaimai likes this.
  18. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I remember a HT saying that as he was appointed to be the lead practitioner in the school, he had to teach and to be seen to teach well.

19. moose2

moose2 New commenter

20. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Whilst there's much to be said for a secondary head teaching, all too often they are unable to be in the lesson, and the class ends up with a raw deal. I remember when I was first involved in timetabling, the head taught all of year 7 for one lesson, and our aim was to get as many of the lessons on the same day as possible, so that at least if the head was out, it would be a case of getting in a supply teacher for the day.

I've seen two solutions which get round that problem. In one school, the head took each year 7 group in her subject for a 3 week stint. Because it wasn't the whole year, it could be booked in to the diary as a priority. The other possibility is for the head to do some cover - which could be fitted in as and when without involving letting classes down. I'm not so sure that would work so well nowadays, as there seems to be far less trust between management and teachers. (It was fine when I started out. In my first week on teaching practice, one teacher was off ill, and although I was in the lessons to observe, the HoD set work and the person on cover was in charge. On Friday afternoon, the head was on cover, and the work ran out halfway through the lesson. I ended up doing my first half-lesson of teaching with no preparation, and the head watching.)