1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you use this clip with year 9- Dead Man Walking

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by dianaprince, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I usually use this clip with year 10/11- it is the execution scene from end of film. I use it as a hook into the lesson as it really makes them think.
    However as we start GCSE in year 9, I am doing it at the moment with year 9. I am hesitant to use it because of the flashbacks to the crime (which almost shows someone being shot and raped- not hugely graphic, but still is obvious what happens. It is only very short- a second or two.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaEGK1bbxCQ
    I use a clip from Pierrepoint in another lesson. My year 9s aren't particularly delicate, but still.
    Hmmmm. What do you guys think?

2. I use that clip with Yr11 and don't think I'd use it with Yr9 for that very reason. Although the flashback is short, it is very obvious and graphic. Some of them may be 13 so I don't think it is age appropriate, regardless of what they can access themselves.

For referring to the death penalty with a younger age group I refer to news articles and clips from witnesses to executions - there were a few on the BBC news website following the execution of Troy Davis last year. It makes it real without being too graphic.

3. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

There are some good clips on true tube - I have used this one http://www.truetube.co.uk/crime/punishment/life-on-death-row about the man on death row

4. Thanks. That is what I thought. I do use some of the true tube ones already. I will have to rethink my hook to the lesson.

5. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

When looking at the death penalty I have used the film 'Let him have it.'

Let Him Have It is a 1991 British film, which was based on the true story of the case against Derek Bentley, who was hanged for murder under controversial circumstances on 28 January 1953.[1] While Bentley did not directly play a role in the murder of PC Sidney Miles, he received the greater punishment than the gunman (who was below the age of 18)

This was recommended by my HOD when I trained as a teacher, I think it had just come out at that time. I think it would be OK to use with year 9. A quick look on internet includes essays and reviews from media GCSE students so it is clearly well regarded as suitable for year 10 and 11. But if you've not seen it I can warn you it is very moving. I think that it's the only time I've shown something in class that has made me cry.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the life of David gale has some fantastic scenes and opens the debate.

I wouldn't use THAT scene from dead man walking, i didn't like using it with yr 10.

7. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

That scene upset me. I have never seen it before and it has left me feeling stressed. I am a 58 year old headteacher, if that matters!

8. 576

576 Established commenter

I wouldn't use Let Him Have It. The second half has **** practically ever other word.
    Yr 9 probaby won't notice but a passing member of senior management certainly would

9. Thanks. It is what I thought. I haven;t seen Let him Have it, I don't want to show a whole film, just need a clip. The reason the Dead Man Walking clip is so good as he talks about forgiveness in it, and there is the nun talking about love etc.
    I have seen the Life of David Gale, might look to see if that has a good clip.

10. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

My HOD recommended the film

I guess that when the film is shown the bad language is in context so it doesn't have such an impact. I don't remember that at all.

If you wanted to find a clip I guess it would be possible to find several useful ones - but then any bad language might be more of an issue.

11. 576

576 Established commenter

"I guess that when the film is shown the bad language is in context so it doesn't have such an impact. I don't remember that at all. "

Guess it depends who you are - I was struggling to notice anything but!

12. As for the OP's original point of not using it because of the flashbacks: OK, I'm going to be rather controversial but try as we might, these horrific things do happen to young children so whilst I certainly wouldn't want it to be drawing attention to what the scene hints at, I wouldn't use it as an excuse not to show it.
    That said, the actual whole clip is pretty disturbing - which is why it hooks them in I guess. It sends chills down the spine and I can imagine year 9s watching it and then being stunned into silence for a few seconds whilst they digest what they've just seen. It is a very powerful clip - but I can certainly see the potential backlash from SMT or parents.
    Personally, if possible, speak with HOD or SMT to ask their opinion and how best to cover your back.
    I teach in a middle school (so yr 8s are our eldest/12-13 yr olds). I must say, I talk pretty frankly with them and (I hope I'm not being egotistical) but I think it is part of the reason why they enjoy my lessons. These difficult issues are real and whilst I always word things carefully and ensure if I give an opinion, I say quite emphatically that it is my opinion - issues that have cropped up for us have included rape and whether they could be forgiven, execution (and even with one class, the methods used in some places!) and I am always honest and say if something freaks me out during our discussion. It certainly means that they can be honest too and prompts discussions as to why we find it alarming etc.
    Back to the clip - personally I wouldn't use it because it does totally frighten me for somereason and I worry that I'll have nightmares let alone the children. However, it certainlywould hook the children in.