1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you use a social media platform in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gmoore021, May 1, 2020.

1. gmoore021

gmoore021 New commenter

We are Natterhub; a brand new safe, gated social media platform powered by TwinklEducationalPublishing.

If not properly supervised, the use of social media and excess screen time can have a damaging impact on the habits and wellbeing of children. We want to change this by providing a solution that develops real-world digital intelligence, and prepares children to thrive online as resilient and empathetic digital citizens.

At the moment, children are spending and increased amount of time on screens due to CVD-19 lockdown. It is our responsibility as educators to ensure that they are becoming safe and savvy social media users. This applies to social platforms, gaming, video calling...everything online!

In order to ensure a safe experience, Natterhub is a gated and transparent community. There are no private chats, so everyone can see what’s happening at all times, and all teachers have their information properly verified before they’re allowed to set up an account. Pupils cannot access the platform until their Hub has been ‘activated’ by their teacher, and teachers also have the ability to set daily time limits on how long the platform can be accessed.

Completely safe.
    Created by educators.
    Purposeful.
    Necessary.

Would you use it?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Hmmmmm ....

thin_ice likes this.
  3. thin_ice

thin_ice Occasional commenter

My thoughts too.

Seems like a sales pitch to me.
    It has all the components of a marketing message.

Mods? Are you there?

colpee and harsh-but-fair like this.
  4. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

It's not only a sales pitch, it's for a solution in search of a problem.
    However, since I like being helpful.
    No, I wouldn't use it. I can see no value or purpose in it. Another useless bit of tech sold to schools that will add no value and sit in the electronic equivalent of the dusty cupboard where nobody goes.

colpee likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Gosh, I haven't seen such a fine example of educational non-speak for a while.

What is actually planned is set out here https://www.primaryteaching.co.uk/blog/natterhub/
    Note though the 2018 date, and as hinted at in the OP, is probably still not ready? Anyway, ignoring grandiose claims and flowery language, it seems a rather run-of-the-mill online e-learning platform, and I couldn't see any particular USP in the detailed blogpost.

I do not think those statements are necessarily compatible.

I haven't read any reason to.