1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you take this job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fur, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Fur

Fur New commenter

I am currently teaching in a Primary school, in Key stage 2. Before joining this school I worked in an Infant school, the majority of my teaching experience is Key stage 1 / Foundation stage and these are my preferred stages to teach.
    I have made my preferences known to my Headteacher, who informed me in July that I would be working in Key Stage 2 for the second year in a row, as I am "not a priority". This was said despite me having taught in Year 2 at my current school and achieved good progress and results.
    A job has come up for an experienced Key Stage 1 teacher and assessment coordinator in an Infant school, but the school has a notice to improve.
    What would you do?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you want to move back to KS1 and the reasons for the notice to improve are acceptable to you, then go for it.

If you want to stay in KS2 to gain experience for future promotion then don't.

If you want to move to KS1, but the resons for the notice to improve concern you, then don't even think about it.

3. Fur

Fur New commenter

Thanks, the reasons for notice to improve are mainly to do with attainment of boys which I have experienced and tackled before.
    My concern is that I may be leaping from the frying pan into the fire.
    I now have 3 years of Key stage 2 experience, which is more than enough for me, and hopefully for my cv. Although I enjoy aspects of Key Stage 2, Key stage 1 and Foundation Stage are where my expertise and enthusiasm are.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you go and visit and get a feel for the school?

If it is a nicer place to work and you will be in your preferred KS, then it would seem stupid not to have a go. And once your current HT knows you are seriously thinking about leaving to be able to teach KS1, you might suddenly become a priority.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I amin the same situationas you although I do feel more valued than you seem to be. However, I would go for the job as long as the school has a nice atmosphere and the people are good to work with. You could do great things there!

6. Fur

Fur New commenter

Yes that's what I was thinking.
    I don't think it will make one bit of difference to my current HT's perception of me, I have already applied and unsuccessfully interviewed for a KS1 job this year.
    No harm in trying again though.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Give it a go. You'll have an opportunity to look around the school before you take it and right up until the point you are asked 'Are you still a firm candidate for the post' you can pull out, so what have you got to lose?