1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you take a pay cut?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by international_muso, Oct 9, 2015.

1. international_muso

international_muso New commenter

I applied for jobs to start in September, one offered me a starting wage of M2 - I should be on M6 so I declined the offer. I'm now getting desperate for a job but am apprehensive to accept a lower pay grade. I think that morally we shouldn't be doing so as it is contributing to the decline in respect for our professional experience and skills. Out of interest, I also wonder if doctors, nurses and other public sector workers would tolerate this in their profession. Would you accept a pay cut to secure a job?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Depends if I wanted the job or not. Presumably a lower rate of pay comes with fewer responsibilities. That might be a good thing and therefore worth the pay cut.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. helenacgregory

helenacgregory New commenter

Excuse the Google login, couldn't recall my password for my regular account.

Different industry (I moved out of teaching) but I took a 20% pay cut for my current role because it offered far less stress and better work-life balance. Think of what you would gain by moving back and if you can afford a reasonable quality of life with lower pay.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Depends what you're going for money isn't everything although I wouldn't take a pay cut in teaching on the main or UPS scale as the job is, in most cases, the same pressure wherever you are.

That said I am taking a 25% pay cut for my new job but for me that's worth it to escape the toxic atmosphere of teaching.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I'd take a pay cut to move into a related area if it meant I could have a better work-life balance. Within schools, I think there's increasingly a rush to the bottom. Some schools want good staff but they want the cheapest staff they can - want all the benefits but aren't prepared to invest.
    Thankfully - quite a few schools do respect pay portability and do value staff and pay them accordingly.

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You're on M6

Unfortunately schools can pay what they like.

Hence they employ younger, much cheaper people who don't know so much. Apparently it's a good idea.

I wouldn't ever, ever accept a job with a pay cut like that. Depends how much you need the money though...

9. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I thought pay grades had all been done away with. Anyway, if you were on M2 when you were last in the UK and did 4 years overseas then a UK school may very well still consider you M2 since the other years were spent in a completely different system

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Time served out of the maintained sector in the UK (British School abroad, Independent School), was never counted for scale points, even when the scale existed nationally.

Certainly true nationally, Tony, but some schools may have carried them over into their Pay Policy.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

11. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Then I would think carefully about accepting much of a pay cut. Schools can pay you whatever they want, and if they aren't giving you a single extra penny for your 4 years overseas (what exactly do they think we do overseas? Sit on a beach?) then you have to think about their intentions. Are they just looking for someone cheap? Where else will they try to cut corners?

12. international_muso

Thanks for the replies. I was on M5 when I left and had passed my performance management, so hence should theoretically be on M6 according to the old scale. The job was HOD, meaning a lot of responsibility, hence why I declined the offer. It went to an NQT. I was only away for 2 years and taught in an IB school, hardly a great step away from the national curriculum at KS3 and 4, and in fact the DP was harder than its equivalent A level in my subject (my opinion, others may disagree).

13. international_muso

Just to clarify, I taught abroad for just over 2 and half years but have been studying and doing other jobs, so in total i've been out of the system for almost 4 years. I guess they think that people must forget how to teach if they haven't done it for a while, despite having new syllabuses and curriculum initiatives dropped on them regularly during the years they spent teaching in the UK system :s

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Perhaps it might help you to read and follow the Applications advice, @international_muso , so that you present yourself as favourably as possible.

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order. I have included articles that are not relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters who may read this.

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written... ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

Best wishes

15. 576

576 Established commenter

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

HoD on M2? I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole! The fact that they gave it to an NQT tells you everything you need to know about the expectations of the school.

17. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Value yourself to not accept anything less than you are worth.

18. drek

drek Star commenter

An M6 gets approx 24k after tax, excluding pension deductions and student loans. An M2 ~ 22K. For a recent grad this sounds great.
    But factor in that over the course of the year , you will be expected to work around 2200 hours, all of it 'directed' and micromanaged by inexperienced, fast trackers these days, it becomes less and less worth it.
    Amounts to around £10/Hr after tax for an M6. So around £7- £8 for an M2?
    That is just a little above minimum wage, fantastic if you are still living with parents. But can get awkward once a person grows up!
    I guess the plus side would be the 6 weeks holidays, except the first week is spent in recovering, the last two preparing for the harder linear exams.
    Or worrying that due to staff shortage your time table will be changed first day back. I would advise against a payout. Because once you do that, they can keep you there forever now, with the able help of fast trackers, for imaginary performance standard issues.