1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you take a job in a school you disliked rather than be unemployed?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Georgia99, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Training provider keep telling us not to take a job in a school that doesn't feel right or that we dislike.
    I can't see this is an option in the current job market.
    But then being unhappy in a school isn't ideal either.
    What would you prefer?

2. Good question Georgia. Looks like I would be extremely lucky to find a post in a nice cushy school. To be honest I would be extremely lucky to find a post at all, at the moment.
    If my recent supply experiences are anything to go by as an indicator of jobs out there - I am well and truely fu/ck/ed.

3. I've turned down a job because it didn't feel right for me. I'm yet to see if that comes back to haunt me, it wasn't because there was a big issue with the actual school but I didn't feel confident meeting the challenges asked of me in that particular job in my NQT year...and I want to know I'm doing a good job during that vital induction period.
    So, I guess my answer is yes- I'd rather be unemployed than take the wrong job. I've visited 10 schools and have only applied to 2 of them. I'm worried about how fussy I'm being, but the job situation in this area is actually pretty good and I have a strong application that is getting results (so far, anyway).
    It depends on your personal circumstances. If it's paramount that you get a job, I'd say go for it and if you find yourself somewhere unbearable, there is the option of resignation I suppose.

4. At the start of my career, any job would do and I did take a job to start with that felt wrong - it was wrong too but it was only a temporary post.
    Later on walked out of a permanent post - did the finances first and realised we'd survive - because it was the job from hell.
    It's fairly easy to move schools early in your career because you're cheap so I'd take what you can get. The only thing is that you need to get your NQT year done so I wouldn't go for a school if you had reason to think you wouldn't get the right support - a school in special measures may not be a good bet and indeed, OFSTED often bar those schools from hiring NQTs.