1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Would you suggest that Year 1 children could watch the Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Each week we have homework slips that go home and you can write suggestions of things that the parents might want to do with their children related to the work that week. Obviously the theme this week is going to be the Royal Wedding, I was thinking of saying, you might want to let your child watch the Royal Wedding. Is this inappropriate for Year 1 children?

2. Why would it be inappropriate?
    As for suggesting watching it, I wouldn't personally. If a family is going to watch it they will watch it anyway and I can't see a five year old being that interested in sitting watching something so boring, especially if it is a sunny day!

3. Yeah that's what I mean. It will be too boring for them. I might suggest a website for creative activities related to the Wedding maybe?

xx

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

As a teacher of more than 20 plus years experience and whose family is now all grown up I can honestly say that I hated, loathed and detested homework. My small daughter was horse mad and all her spare time was spent thoroughly enjoying grooming, riding and generally looking after her horse. This lasted from the age of seven until she went to uni and beyond. She still has her own horse and also has a BSc degree and PGCE.
    It was bad enough when she went to secondary school and got loaded down with homework. Had she had homework during her primary years it would have been a nightmare and I would have resented every minute of it because it would have stopped her doing something she loved doing and which made her into the person she is today.
    Why do young children have to be restrained by bloomin' homework!
    Breathe..............

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't think it will be in any way boring for the children unless their parents deem it boring. If their family is excited and keen, then a year 1 child can easily sit and watch the national event of the year. If the family are off out doing something else then they probably won't.

It isn't inappropriate, as a task, at all. However to insist that it is done, would be.

You could set some homework as normal and add a note to the bottom suggesting parents watch at least the service and fly past with their child as the child has been learning so much about the wedding this week in school.

6. Sorry, I know this is too late, but perhaps you could have asked them to talk to a member of their family about their own wedding as a comparison. Make it relevant to them.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

My kids are all in primary school, and we hate it too. In fact, I am considering denying all knowledge of the homework that has been sitting, unlooked at and unloved, i the bottom of their bags for a couple of weeks. I think it's mad to give homework to young children - especially KS1 - especially as the parents (ie me) are the ones who have to do it, and have an argument with their children in the process. Give 'em a week off. Tell 'em to have fun as their homework. Run about. Shout. Play.

8. I agree with the other posters about homework during the holidays (unless it's exam revision, for obvious reasons).
    However, if the teacher of one of my children had ever suggested that they watch this, I would be extremely annoyed. I will not have it on in our house because, in this day and age, I don't think we should be celebrating (and paying for) rich people to invite other similarly rich (and despotic in some cases) people to watch them getting married purely because of their birth.